No announcement yet.

Sparring as a heavy hitter.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparring as a heavy hitter.

I enjoy hitting the heavy bags a lot and it's rewarded me with some serious power..But when I spar I'm totally gimped because I'm not going to be rude and unload during practice.. My low power shots are soo slow. Anyway it's good for me to work on my defense and footwork Oh god my feet are slow.. I'm not sure if I will ever take a Pro fight and am to old for amateur so I best keep on good term with sparring partners..I guess I'm just envious of the guys that can go all out in sparring and not worry much about injuries.

Why does everyone on this forum think they have sick power?

Comment

I used to think the same thing until my coach showed me how unbalanced I was.
      If your low power shots are too slow and your footwork is bad, then I'd have to guess that your form needs work. If your form needs work then those big power shots might not be based on good balance. If your power is coming from your muscles, re-evaluate what you're doing as you should be able to throw any shot without unloading. No disrespect, just my 2¢.
      Last edited by Redd Foxx; 02-08-2012, 05:17 AM.

Comment

I'm unbalanced no doubt..I've adopted some unconventional movement to compensate for my slow foot speed..It works by making me hard to time and i will vary my stride length so its harder to predict how fast I will close the distance..The big downside is I'm not in balance and makes moving my body to dodge and slip difficult ..I block well and my chin is nailed to my chest but its cause I eat a lot of hits.

Comment

Originally posted by Crushedknee View Post
          I'm unbalanced no doubt..I've adopted some unconventional movement to compensate for my slow foot speed..It works by making me hard to time and i will vary my stride length so its harder to predict how fast I will close the distance..The big downside is I'm not in balance and makes moving my body to dodge and slip difficult ..I block well and my chin is nailed to my chest but its cause I eat a lot of hits.
          then with no disrespect you don't block well.

Comment

Originally posted by Crushedknee View Post
            This sends red flags my way. Why are you compensating for your slow foot speed rather than working on your foot speed? Or is this a work in progress? Are you just a slow dude?

Are these unconventional movements bad habbits in disquise?

You sound like you have alot of natural talent, but how good are your fundamentals? (not a flame, I'm asking for an honest evaluation)

Comment

Originally posted by toehead View Post
              Why does everyone on this forum think they have sick power?
              Because its the internet...

Comment

Most defiantly a work in progress I just want to be the best Boxer I can be. Crushedknee is a descriptor..It's ok but it is a limited mileage joint for me now..I Cant afford to burn whats left of it on a lot of Pure physical Leg conditioning.I save it for skill conditioning and development.I'm working on it and getting faster but It's not going to ever be my strength. I do think I block ok but Slipping and dodging can avoid hits when your hands and arms are busy elsewhere..

Comment

Working...
                X