No announcement yet.

how do you see sergio vs hagler playing out? both in prime

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol you guys are interesting.

i say it depends on sergio's mood. if he respects him or wants to try and hurt him.

the former; sergio UD/SDs him.
    the latter; hagler wins likely by knockout.

if sergio's mind is right, he will SRL hagler.

Comment

Hagler gonna get 'um.

Late TKO.

Comment

hagler stops him late, especially if its 15 rounder

Comment

I see Hagler in "track shoes" running after Sergio all night! I hope I didn't "buy" this fight because it sets up as a stinker!
          Sorry but Sergios style just doesn't lend to excitment and imposing a will!! Its more like deception and checkers instead of chess!
          Boxing is Chess............with Consequences...........not jumping over people!
          Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
            I see Hagler in "track shoes" running after Sergio all night! I hope I didn't "buy" this fight because it sets up as a stinker!
            Sorry but Sergios style just doesn't lend to excitment and imposing a will!! Its more like deception and checkers instead of chess!
            Boxing is Chess............with Consequences...........not jumping over people!
            Ray.

Good lord

Comment

Martinez has some success early on but once Hagler's shotgun jab starts to connect, he slowly pummels Martinez in to submission. Martinez has the movement to survive against Hagler but there is no escape in that ring and he's stopped late in the fight.

Martinez does not compare to SRL, do not be so naive.

Comment

Martinez is a great fighter, but a prime Hagler was too tough, and was too clever of a boxer. Hagler by 8th round stoppage with Martinez taking a barrage of punishment.

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post

i say it depends on sergio's mood. if he respects him or wants to try and hurt him.

Martinez is no SRL... and SRL caught Hagler at the tail-end of his prime. Martinez doesn't have the savvy to successfully dance around Hagler for 15 rounds.
                Last edited by SBleeder; 09-25-2012, 07:47 AM.

Comment

people these days downplay how good hagler's skills were, this is not fecking chavez junior we're talking about here, hagler is at a completely different level to anybody sergio has ever faced.

Comment

I think it's more to do with the overrating of Martinez rather than underrating Hagler, although that may play a part too. Which I don't understand as Martinez is hardly even top 10/15 middleweight material let alone a challenge to the best of 'em all.

Hasn't done much since the Williams fight either.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post

You're the interesting one here methinks. Sergio SRLs Hagler? We are talking about a prime Hagler here. When boxing, Sergio is still easier to hit, and hurt, than Leonard was when he chose to box. Very, very different.

Hagler in his prime was also a highly skilled southpaw that could counter Sergio very well.

Hagler beats him. We are getting so overexcited about fighters today. Imagine if Hagler was around as lineal MW champ like Hagler. After the 2nd year of Sergio's 'reign' we are proclaiming him a HOFer, Hagler beating great. Imagine today if Hagler had cleaned out the division, made lots of defenses and reigned supreme for nearly a decade? We'd be proclaiming him the GOAT.

Anyway, enough babble. Hagler's jab was much better than Sergio's and much harder. It would beat Sergio's and that would be a large part of who won the rest. Hagler isn't going to wait on the inside, and he's much stronger and rougher and would break him down every time Sergio rests. He doesn't wait on the outside, nor is he some slow plodder that just walks forward. He's more versatile than Sergio.

Flicker would probably say Hagler beats Ali if he were fighting today.
                      Last edited by BennyST; 09-25-2012, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X