Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long does it take to become a decent boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long does it take to become a decent boxer?

I am curious to hear, based on your own experience and observations, how long it generally takes a "typical" person to become a "decent" boxer.

By "typical" I mean:
    1. A healthy person who is not particularly athletic, but not un-athletic either.
    2. Has not done boxing, or anything similar, before.
    2. Trains 2-5 times per week.

By "decent boxer" I mean:
    1. Knows all the fundamentals (footwork, punches, etc).
    2. Fairly good power, posture, flow, etc.
    3. Can hold up against an advanced boxer in a sparring session without crumbling.
    4. Can easily beat, in a sparring match, nearly anyone who has little or no boxing experience.

Any thoughts on how long it should take to get to this level? 1 year? 2 years? More?

For this guy? Never.
    http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...0306&cat=boxer

Comment

Originally posted by outsidethebox View Post
      I am curious to hear, based on your own experience and observations, how long it generally takes a "typical" person to become a "decent" boxer.

By "typical" I mean:
      1. A healthy person who is not particularly athletic, but not un-athletic either.
      2. Has not done boxing, or anything similar, before.
      2. Trains 2-5 times per week.

By "decent boxer" I mean:
      3. Can hold up against an advanced boxer in a sparring session without crumbling.
      4. Can easily beat, in a sparring match, nearly anyone who has little or no boxing experience.

Any thoughts on how long it should take to get to this level? 1 year? 2 years? More?
      4 to 6 months if you dedicate and follow through. For my 6th bout ever as an amatuer I fought the defending National Silver Gloves champion. Put up a good fight and it was close but I lost. I started up boxing about 4 or 5 months before I had that fight. You will need 5 days a week training to achieve what you were describing but you or anybody can achieve if you've got the heart.....Rockin'
      Last edited by Rockin'; 01-07-2012, 04:51 AM.

Comment

you cant put a number on it like that, its way too individual. the trainer, level of talent, commitment, lifestyle and mental toughness all come into play. lacking in one area can take years to overcome, and you cant become a decent boxer until you are solid in all areas.

and then sometimes its just right from the start. i would say 8-10 months is the fastest. but some ppl never get there.

i know a guy who trained for years at a garbage gym and they never taught him **** worth knowing. the guy had been training for years and really taught he was good, i see himm train and he cant do anything. cant throw a punch, no footwork nothing. some ******* just took his money all those years.

then theres those who never get mentally tough enough to be a decent boxer. they want to and they might find a bunch of mental training exercises and do them over and over again but they just cant get over the hump. usually its just a lack of confidence or a inability to get past their fears.

same thing goes for bad lifestyle and lack of commitment. the only thing you can always overcome is lack of talent. but you do that by having more mental toughness, better lifestyle and more commiment than everyone else.

its all individual though. so yeah.. you cant put a number on it. it will take no less than 6 months thats all i can tell you, thats at the very least.

Comment

If you take out #3 from that list of things, you can achieve this much much faster.
          I'd say just a few months.

Lots of footwork, heavy bag, focus mitts, and sparring will do the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
            then theres those who never get mentally tough enough to be a decent boxer. they want to and they might find a bunch of mental training exercises and do them over and over again but they just cant get over the hump. usually its just a lack of confidence or a inability to get past their fears.
            Would you be willing to expand on this a little? What are examples of the mental toughness you are referring to? And what are some good ways to build mental toughness?

Comment

Originally posted by outsidethebox View Post
              Would you be willing to expand on this a little? What are examples of the mental toughness you are referring to? And what are some good ways to build mental toughness?
              i have that problem basically in my last fight i fought an older guy with alot more experience he was 2kg heavier than me but i flew all the way over just to fight him so i couldnt back out then so i end up getting in the ring i look across me being 6ft3 at 72kg i had probably a 3 inch height advantage but he looked alot bulkier than me and he was we touch gloves and he starts rushing my ass across the 4 corners of the ring im getting hit with a barrage of punches ref stops the action and does a standing count (head flew back) action continues he starts laying into me again the blood from my nose is getting onto his gloves and hes punching me in my face so it looks alot worse than it was i couldnt fire back he was just too stronger in the end my trainer throws in the towel because it was pointless for me to take a beating for another round. i havent fought since.. even though i have a decent height advantage everyone i've fought has been physically stronger than me and i dont see my height as an advantage because all these smaller guys are strong and can punch. also i feel embarassed if that happened to me in my home town thankfully i was in another country so noone would see me again. i really wanna box again but it sits in the back of my mind maybe if i bulk up just a little bit so i can stop being bullied i'd be alot better who knows.

Comment

Working...
              X