Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Kozelek - Paying Tribute to Boxing’s Tragic Figures in Song

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Kozelek - Paying Tribute to Boxing’s Tragic Figures in Song

By Thomas Gerbasi - Mark Kozelek is like a lot of diehard boxing fans in that he hopes the aftermath of Saturday’s Manny Pacquiao vs. Timothy Bradley bout will clear the final hurdle for a megafight between the Filipino icon and Floyd Mayweather Jr.

He’s even optimistic enough to believe that it’s going to happen.

“I think so,” wrote Kozelek in a recent email interview. “I have no doubt that Mayweather is gonna need / want that big payday in a matter of time.”

That opinion puts the Ohio native in the same boat with the rest of us who follow the sweet science, but where Kozelek differs from other boxing fans is that he has taken his devotion to the sport to the masses through songs that would fit right in with Sonny Liston’s idea of a blues song for fighters: "slow guitar, soft trumpet and a bell."

Kozelek has left out the soft trumpet and bell, instead using poignant lyrics, sparse yet atmospheric arrangements, and guitar as his weapons of choice. As for his project’s name, Sun Kil Moon tells you immediately where the loyalties of the former frontman of the critically acclaimed Red House Painters lie. [Click Here To Read More]

Great article. For the last 20 years, Kozelek has been one of the finest, and most respected songwriters in the independent music scene. As a fan, of both, boxing and his career, I find his passion for boxing admirable and inspiring, just like his music. Good job Boxing Scene! and thanks Mark for sharing your insights of the sport.

Comment

Yeah great article, had no idea the lead singer of Red House Painters was a boxing fan. Good to see people who aren't dumbasses speaking favourably about the sport

Comment

Originally posted by breakyourface View Post
        Yeah great article, had no idea the lead singer of Red House Painters was a boxing fan. Good to see people who aren't dumbasses speaking favourably about the sport
        Funny...Until the Sun Kil Moon stuff came out, I didn't know either. Mark's a great guy - My band played with The Red House Painters here in Minneapolis, and you couldn't find a more down to earth guy. In a sane world, "Songs For a Blue Guitar" would be held in the same regard as The White Album", or "Dark Side of the Moon". It's really that good.

Comment

Cool article, that was a nice departure from the usual read around here. Good music, digging it.

Comment

Working...
          X