No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Lucian Bute Remains Boxing’s Ultimate Feel Good Story

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Lucian Bute Remains Boxing’s Ultimate Feel Good Story

By Jake Donovan - In a stretch where it seemed to be one disappointing news item after another, Lucian Bute once again helps give the sport a much need shot in the arm.

The unbeaten super middleweight titlist has been on quite a role thus far in 2012, all while having yet to step foot in the ring. In a calendar year littered with bad news, Bute continues to make headlines for all of the right reasons.

The most recent piece of good news came late Monday afternoon when the Romania-born star gained full citizenship in his adopted homeland of Canada.

“I just experienced one of the most important moments of my life,” Bute stated after being one of 30 participants to gain Canadian citizenship during the ceremony. “I have been preparing for this moment for the past five years. I felt like a true Quebecker and Canadian long ago, but today I am proud to obtain my Canadian citizenship.”

There’s good reason for Bute (30-0, 24KO) to have long ago felt at home. Canada has for years served as a boxing hotbed. Its popularity continues to grow as the sport continues to struggle in identity beyond the elite level on the U.S. side of the border.

Bute serves at the forefront when the conversation is the nation’s most popular fighters. Sold-out crowds aren’t the goal but the expectation when the talented southpaw is the headliner. It’s why all but five of his pro fights to date have taken place in Quebec City since relocating from his native Romania nine years ago.

Even with that in mind, Bute remains a team player amongst a sport of individuals.

American cable giant Showtime signed the rising superstar to a three-fight deal, an indirect acknowledgement that he clearly belonged in its Super Six World Boxing Classic. The understanding was that Bute would be made available for the tournaments winner, a role the long-reigning titlist was willing to honor regardless of how the finals played out. [Click Here To Read More]

It would feel good if Froch knocked him out

Comment

Bute Boomaye!!

Comment

Read title and...

Comment

It's not really an "ultimate feel good story" but good for him on getting his Canadian citizenship.

Comment

Yeah, how does this warrant as an "ultimate feel good story"?! Was expecting to read that Bute was once a beaten orphan or something!!

Comment

Been on a "role" has he Jake?

Comment

Originally posted by Dirk Diggler UK View Post
                We definitely agree here.

Comment

Originally posted by check hook View Post
                  Been on a "role" has he Jake?
                  d'oh! sentence started out as something else (along the lines of playing a role), forgot to fix all of it. thanks

Comment

Comment

Working...
                    X