Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

when did boxing stop introducing Champions from the past before matches?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when did boxing stop introducing Champions from the past before matches?

I was watching Sonny Liston-Muhammad Ali from 1964 there, and previous champions and the top contenders of the day where introduced. Does anyone know when this stopped?

I would prefer it to still be here!

They still do, I just seen a card last week where they introduced Earnie Shavers and Buster Douglas in the ring before a fight. But I agree they should do it more often.

Comment

They should do it more often.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        They still do, I just seen a card last week where they introduced Earnie Shavers and Buster Douglas in the ring before a fight. But I agree they should do it more often.
        It used to be a tradition at Madison Square Garden. It was fun to hear the crowd response and see them come into the ring and shake hands with that nights main eventers. I'd like to see that brought back.

Comment

They did on Klitschko vs. Haye.

Comment

I lot of times they do it off camera. I also agree that it should be done on camera and before the main event, but I guess it takes too much time.

As a ring announcer myself, I introduce several fighters in between each of the bouts. I even do this at all the amateur shows as well, plus some of them actually work the corners. I would say, working the Red corner is a former world champion or contender and then announce them. This breaks things up a little.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
              They need to do that every time it's appropriate. It's a way of preserving legacy, and passing on the history of the sport we all love to future generations.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
                They need to do that every time it's appropriate. It's a way of preserving legacy, and passing on the history of the sport we all love to future generations.
                Very true. Plus it gives the live crowd a chance to show their appreciation for the fighters. I remember when I was very young hearing my father and older brother talking about how big an ovation Joe Louis was getting at MSG.

Comment

Agree, and a lot of ex fighters are some of the most devoted fight attendees there are anyway.

Comment

if they still introduced former champions at big fights today they would have to cancel 2 of the bouts on the card because it would take solong.

too many championship belts makes boxing a dull boy.

being a title holder today compares little to holding one in the 30's or 40's. they have deluted the final product.
                    Last edited by Rockin'; 06-02-2012, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X