No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Carl Williams: Picking "The Truth" Had Consequences

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Carl Williams: Picking "The Truth" Had Consequences

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - When Carl Williams climbed the ring steps to face a prime, unbeaten Mike Tyson in July of 1989, I don’t recall a lot of people yelling that “The Truth” would put an end to what had been nearly a three-year heavyweight reign of menace.

In fact, I probably was the only one.

I’d just as soon chalk it up to the ignorance of youth, but back then, as best pal Rob Moody and I settled into his living room to catch the match on HBO, I wasn’t at all shy in explaining to my host why the chiseled 6-foot-4 challenger would do what 36 others had failed to accomplish.

He was a head taller than his pint-sized foe. He had a left jab that could burst a melon. And he had legs that could carry him through 45 minutes of hard combat, which he’d proven against a guy – albeit a declining Larry Holmes – I considered far superior to those I’d seen Tyson monotonously vanquish.

This was no terrified creampuff, I insisted. Iron Mike was in for a schooling.

Toward that end, the 93 seconds between bells that night were decidedly unfulfilling.

And even though there was some controversy over whether referee Randy Neumann gave Williams enough of a chance after he rose dull-eyed from a thudding left hook, I’d have had to stop Rob from laughing before I could have made much of a case for a rematch. [Click Here To Read More]

Good read and lol @ the Jets comment.

You're having a bad 2013 so far but let's hope your prediction of Rigo over Donaire turns it around.

RIP The Truth

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

I didn't know that he had died RIP Carl. And anyone that saw the fight way back in the day knows that Carl should have gotten the nod over the Easton Assassin and that's "The Truth!"

Comment

R.I.P. Carl "The Truth" Williams

Comment

Rest In Power to one of Yonkers' Finest - Salute!

Comment

RIP....The Truth, such memories. Man could sell a fight and deliver also.

Comment

Never will forget the Holmes fight. Dad and I watched it together and were amazed. Then I read somewhere later, Carl was only paid $11,500 for the fight... which was standard operating procedure for Holmes matches. He rarely paid anyone more than chump change. R.I.P. Mr. Williams.

Comment

I watched his fight against Holmes last night. He threw some killer jabs in that.

Comment

I think he beat Larry Holmes. It's hard to see how he lost that fight.

R.I.P Carl Williams.

Comment

Originally posted by PunchyPotorff View Post
                    Never will forget the Holmes fight. Dad and I watched it together and were amazed. Then I read somewhere later, Carl was only paid $11,500 for the fight... which was standard operating procedure for Holmes matches. He rarely paid anyone more than chump change. R.I.P. Mr. Williams.
                    No, that was Don King who paid Williams that money, NOT Holmes.....

Comment

Working...
                    X