Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Marciano's record have been 48-1?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Marciano's record have been 48-1?

I read a book recently called 'Boxings hall of shame'. In a section of the book it mentions a fight between Rocky Marciano and Englands Don Cockell.

According to the book it indicates that Macriano was fighting so dirty(low blows,hitting after the bell and headbutts) that he could have been disqualified 9 times over.

I was just wondering if anyone on here has watched the fight, if so whats your take on it?

Should he have been disqualified?

No but he should have probably lost a decision to Tiger Ted Lowry. There was also controversy about the first Roland LaStarza fight.

Marcino also had his pro debut while he was still fighting in the amateurs, and lost to Coley Wallace in a Golden Gloves tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
      No but he should have probably lost a decision to Tiger Ted Lowry. There was also controversy about the first Roland LaStarza fight.

Marcino also had his pro debut while he was still fighting in the amateurs, and lost to Coley Wallace in a Golden Gloves tournament.
      Did he fight under a different name at somepoint aswell, im sure ive read it somewhere.

Comment

He had some links to the mafia, which is why he never lost.

Comment

Originally posted by Demise View Post
          He had some links to the mafia, which is why he never lost.
          how the **** do you know,

you know this for 100% huh?

lol

Comment

Originally posted by number6 View Post
            Did he fight under a different name at somepoint aswell, im sure ive read it somewhere.
            He used the name Rocky Mack for his pro debut.

Comment

Haters!

Comment

Originally posted by QUID View Post
                Haters!

Your miles out, i read something in a book and asked if anyone has seen the fight to confirm if its true or bull**** because ive not seen the fight.

Have you seen it?

Comment

Originally posted by number6 View Post
                  Your miles out, i read something in a book and asked if anyone has seen the fight to confirm if its true or bull**** because ive not seen the fight.

Have you seen it?

Comment

There were certainly some blatant fouls in there, including striking Cockell when he was on the deck.

This sort of thing has always been very ambiguous in boxing. As they say, you cheat to the tolerance of the referee. And what cheating is acceptable and what is not? How about Hopkins and Holyfield using their head almost as often as their fists, or Ali grabbing and holding his opponent's neck, or Foreman pushing his opponents to create punching room, or Hatton's wrestling/mauling tactics? All "cheats" to varying degrees, but none of those guys were ever disqualified.

If we're looking at fights Marciano may have actually lost, I'd say the first LaStarza and Lowry fights are a better bet. Unfortunately, I don't know whether film of those two is extant so we may never know for sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X