Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever stepped inside a boxing ring?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RVABoxer View Post
    I've trained for about 7 -8 years off and on had a handful of amateur fights I love the sport more so being in the gym than actually watching it. Being a fan of the sport is kinda hard fights can be boring to me and its hard to keep up with everything going on in the sport.

I really love going into the gym and sparring theres nothing like it to me its really a learning experience and you get better each time. I've gone from a guy that knew 0 about boxing the first day in the gym being nervous about sparring and getting hit and going 3 rounds and coming out completely exhausted even though i was in great shape to most recently stepping in the ring calm and out of shape and being able to spar 6 rds because I am now able to keep calm and pace myself and know my fight more. Not to proud of the out of shape part recently but it happens with injuries but it also taught me how to adjust my fighting style since i wasnt as quick anymore so i take it as a learning experience.

As for my fights its a total different story than sparring i get nervous because of the crowd and it greatly affects my boxing ability. I am still trying to work on this but its been hard because i dont fight very frequently. But I really just box for fun and a learning experience and so far its been great it can get stressful too when competing and making weight but when it gets too much i find its time to take a break since I'm not trying to make a career out of it no point in getting stressed over something thats supposed to be fun. But when i do compete i give it 110% because i know regardless of whether you are doing it for fun or for a profession you can get hurt in there.

I feel like most boxing fans should have the experience of training and sparring some time just to know how demanding the sport is and have more respect for how hard some of these guys have to work just to be seen on tv fighting. I def have a new found respect for fighters of all sorts including MMA even though im not a fan through training as well as fighting in general i never really knew the damage i could do to someone by just hitting them or the damage that could be done to me until i boxed
    It really is a great way of spending your energy and using your time.You learn something everytime and your sparring partner also and equally learns something.
    If competing causes you stress and only stress and you have other things going on then stick to the sparring and have fun.
    You are so right that it isn't a game and people do get hurt. I learnt the hard way that competing as a matter of course is foolish. Hurting others can and is more horrible in some ways than being hurt yourself.
    I would say to anyone that is going around wanting to knock this guy or that out, or knock anyone out for that matter....be careful what you wish for.

Comment

I was always heavy set when I took boxing I was never able to cut past 170 im 5'9. I was always the shortest man in the ring gave up close to 3+ inches in reach. I would get jabbed to death for 3rounds early in my carreer it was hard trying to get inside than have a hugging match with these lengthy guys i ended it 2 years later with 7-4 record

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
        actual experience means nothing on this site, you'd actually just be better off keeping everything to yourself. Having watched fights on television or deep in the crowd garners more perspective than you'll ever get from being in the ring yourself (or being a trainer) just sayin'...........Rockin'
        If that is what you believe then good luck to you but please respect that there are those who believe otherwise, those who speak from their benefit of actual experience. And their opinions, just like yours should not be dismissed regardless of the site they are posting on.
        Oh and I for one don't agree that they or anyone should keep their experiences, thoughts and opinions about boxing to themselves. Particularly given that that is the point of this thread.

Thankyou for your views in any case.

Comment

OH YEAH i trained on and off from age 17-21 then stopped and just started again
          was never able to fight due to medical conditions ( i have alotta metal implants in me)
          but i sparred and trained like anyone els i love it and it is by farrrrrrrrrr the toughest sport bar none !
          i still hit the speed bad at my fitness gym everyday and shadow box too
          when i started i was 6ft 130lbs a perfect frame for fighting paul williams type frame but even skinnier !
          now since i started lifting at 22yrs old im 6ft2 165? much more muscular but my legs are completeley gone from my various back surgeries

Comment

Originally posted by luke1979 View Post
            If that is what you believe then good luck to you but please respect that there are those who believe otherwise, those who speak from their benefit of actual experience. And their opinions, just like yours should not be dismissed regardless of the site they are posting on.
            Oh and I for one don't agree that they or anyone should keep their experiences, thoughts and opinions about boxing to themselves. Particularly given that that is the point of this thread.

Thankyou for your views in any case.

rockin was actually a professional boxer in detroit in the 90's.

Comment

That's like being in a jerk-off forum and making a thread asking if any one in that forum has ever jerked off.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                actual experience means nothing on this site, you'd actually just be better off keeping everything to yourself. Having watched fights on television or deep in the crowd garners more perspective than you'll ever get from being in the ring yourself (or being a trainer) just sayin'...........Rockin'
                Yea like I should take advice from A Key Board Boxer

Comment

I currently box I've had 9 bouts won 6 lost 3 which I'm pleased with . It's made me realise how disiplined you have to be to really succeed and it's also changed me a lot in that I live a lot cleaner than I used to I think it's one of the best things someone can do especially youngsters that are in and out of trouble

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
                    That's like being in a jerk-off forum and making a thread asking if any one in that forum has ever jerked off.
                    nah it's more like being in a sex forum and asking if anyone's had sex

Comment

iv only had one boxing match so far 3 x 2 minute rounds, and always thought in the back of my head whilst sparring with guys i think "if i was really trying to drop you i would" but then fighting for real its just so hard to land a clean punch. made me realize how important timing/reactions/setting up the punch is.

Comment

Working...
                      X