Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would it be possible to name a p4p fighter for each decade going back 100 years?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would it be possible to name a p4p fighter for each decade going back 100 years?

Just wondering..

Is it possible to name one or two p4p best at each decade from the 1910-1920 and up to 2008/9? And how could such a list look like?

The 50s or some would go to Robinson i guess
    80's to Leonard
    90's to Jones Jr.

Or am I Completely off on that one?
    Last edited by Grand Champ; 12-24-2008, 10:26 PM.

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/thefighters.html

Comment

Nice list, thx - i've been looking for a list like that

Comment

2000-2009 is floyd mayweather jr, no contest.

Comment

I'd go with most of that list, but probably go with Robinson or Marciano over Moore in the 50s. I also would have picked Jack Johnson over Gans and also possibly over Langford too in 1900-1919.

Leonard may well have got my vote in the 80s, his wins over Hearns, Duran and Hagler enforce this but Larry Holmes and Mike Tyson deserve a shout too though.

Lastly I'd have probably shaded Gene Tunney over Leonard in the 20s.

As for the first decade of the 21st century, Floyd just gets my vote.....Roy Jones was clearly the man till 2004 though!

Comment

Roy Jones shouldn't get the 90's because he handpicked all his opponents and took the easy way out and DUCKED B-Hop for a rematch all these years.

Comment

BHOP didn't come close to beating Jones and wasn't prepared to step up to Supermiddle.......or Lightheavy in the 90s, which is where Jones went. I personally feel Hopkins has shown his best form this century, the 90s version of Hopkins would have always lost to Jones.

The only guys Jones didn't face who may have stood the slightest chance to beat him in the 90s were.......Eubank, Benn, Collins, McClellan or Michealchezwski. The 90s Calzaghe was not the finished product so I havn't included him. I think any poll raised on this site would predict a landslide for the Jones in the 90s over any of these guys, which is why hes number one.

Whittaker, De La Hoya and Holyfield also deserve some credit for the 90s.

Comment

Is it possible to name a 4p4 best for one year?
                Those ratings are just spectable.

Different styles, different challenges.
                Just as comparing boxers through the decades.

"You cannot separate a champion from his time."
                Sonny Liston

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Champ View Post
                  Just wondering..

Is it possible to name one or two p4p best at each decade from the 1910-1920 and up to 2008/9? And how could such a list look like?

The 50s or some would go to Robinson i guess
                  80's to Leonard
                  90's to Jones Jr.

Or am I Completely off on that one?
                  Maybe.......!850's.to 1870's.... JEM MACE.......... 1880's... Sullivan or Dempsey,,,,, ---------------!890's,.... Fitzsimmons or Dixon......----------!900's... Johnson or Jeffries .........1910's.... Darcy or Darcy... ---------------- 1920's.... Greb or Leonard.......... ------------1930's..... Armstrong or Louis....... -1940's... Robinson or Robinson or Pep........ -----------1950's... Moore or Basilio....-----------------------1960's.... CLAY or ALI.......------------1970's..... Roberto or Duran ................ 1980's,,... Ray Leonard......... and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
                    BHOP didn't come close to beating Jones and wasn't prepared to step up to Supermiddle.......or Lightheavy in the 90s, which is where Jones went. I personally feel Hopkins has shown his best form this century, the 90s version of Hopkins would have always lost to Jones.

The only guys Jones didn't face who may have stood the slightest chance to beat him in the 90s were.......Eubank, Benn, Collins, McClellan or Michealchezwski. The 90s Calzaghe was not the finished product so I havn't included him. I think any poll raised on this site would predict a landslide for the Jones in the 90s over any of these guys, which is why hes number one.

Whittaker, De La Hoya and Holyfield also deserve some credit for the 90s.
                    Collins or Michalczewski would've stood no chance against Roy Jones, hardly any

Nunn would've beaten him

Comment

Working...
                    X