No announcement yet.

Support American fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El Jesus View Post
    Mayweathers style, multiplied by his lack of a sub-ethnic fanbase which boxing today thrives on is why he is in the position hes in. During whitakers prime he had the same exact problem, he was arrogant, and had a style that people simply couldnt relate to, he was untouchable half the time, and he had next to no following outside of the state of virginia. he always fought the best and he was also labled a "runner" etc

De La Hoya had an exciting style, a fantastic story as well as great looks (no ****) long before he even turned pro. Not to mention, Oscar was soft spoken and very likable.

Jordan, im not gonna compare an NBA star to boxer in todays sports envoirment, especially a pioneering superstar who plays the most glamerous position in the sport, the 2.

Pacs popularity is a reflection of his style, and the excitement he brings because of it. Mayweathers style has never been and never will bring that level of excitement. Ever.

like i said, look closely at what i said about whitaker.
    Well, this contradicts what you pointed out as far as Mo**ey Mayweather's drawing power backed up by his PPV#s.

Mo**ey has been involved in some the highest grossing PPV fights of this decade by playing the role of the antagonist. Imagine if he carried himself like PAC !!
    Last edited by NYU Alum.; 12-27-2009, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
      unlike most other countries, the USA actually has more than one great fighter at a time lol. even Mexico right now is hurting.

USA: Mayweather (#1 or #2 in world), Hopkins (#3 in world), Mosley (top 6 in world), Williams (top 10 in world), Dawson (top 10 in world), Ward (close to if not top 10 in world), Bradley (close to if not top 10 in world)

I mean the only other fighters getting pound for pound consideration right now are Abraham, Marquez and Cotto unless I've totally forgotten someone.

we also criticize our fighters whereas Manny can do no wrong in the Philippines even though he's ducking a test for an illegal substance. Margarito is still a god in Mexico despite being caught attempting to cheat. Puerto Ricans still think Cotto is an all-time great.

the point is, when you have few of something, you appreciate it more. the world expects americans to dominate boxing, so they criticize them when they don't instead of cheering them when they do.
      hell NO

margarito is hated by Mexicans from all over Mexico, that cheating ***** cant even go outside

Comment

Originally posted by markbnlv View Post
        I have noticed as of late american boxing fans have turned a cold shoulder towards american fighters the bashing of Floyd Mosley Paulie etc why is this,maybe if we supported fighters from are country like we did with ray leonard dela hoya sweetpea maybe boxing would have a resurgance.
        im not even american....i respect Mosely and Paulie....but i will NEVER respect Mayweather Jr...simple as

Comment

Originally posted by Third Degree MM View Post
          hell NO

margarito is hated by Mexicans from all over Mexico, that cheating ***** cant even go outside
          i still thought even without the wraps Margarito was a good fighter ...shame about the wraps though

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
            guzman vs funeka was also a result of an american judging.....ive claimed few as you did..imsure there'smore just could'nt think of any more at the moment...
            umm Guzman vs. Funeka happened in Canada...AND NEITHER IS AN AMERICAN. LOL

to the guy that said Quartey got jobbed against Oscar and Forrest...nah. I had Quartey winning both of those fights, but they were very close, so neither is a robbery. and claiming Mayweather lost to Castillo is the biggest myth in boxing and really separates who can score from who can't. punches that hit shoulders and the back aren't supposed to be scored.

Comment

Originally posted by DiegoFuego View Post
              I'll give you Oquendo vs. Byrd. I thought Oquendo won, but then again, I only had it 115-113 for Oquendo, so that's hardly a robbery.

Mayweather beat Castillo both times, and Williams beat Martinez. Sure, maybe the scorecards were off in those, but the right man won each time.

You're going to have to do better than that to claim the U.S. is a corrupt place
              john-juarez I? martinez-cintron?

Comment

Originally posted by markbnlv View Post
                I have noticed as of late american boxing fans have turned a cold shoulder towards american fighters the bashing of Floyd Mosley Paulie etc why is this,maybe if we supported fighters from are country like we did with ray leonard dela hoya sweetpea maybe boxing would have a resurgance.
                Huh? Just support GOOD fighters. Why does it matter where they are from?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Comment

Originally posted by baracuda View Post
                  america has the most overarated fighters...this is comin from an american...why?.....because we just have that luxury...we are the boss of it all....sad but true,and i dont care!
                  Yeah sure and i'm Chinese. We all know you're Puerto Rican.

Comment

Working...
                  X