No announcement yet.

was micheal spinks underated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• was micheal spinks underated?

He was undisputed lw champ and the linial hw champ until he ran into the tyson tornado.? I personally thought he did not win both holmes fights but he was right there.

Well, since it seems like 90% of posters around here only seem to think he's just the dude that got flattened in 81 seconds, I'd say yes he's underrated. The posters who know boxing DON'T underrate him though and acknowledge he was an ATG Light-Heavy.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      He was undisputed lw champ and the linial hw champ until he ran into the tyson tornado.? I personally thought he did not win both holmes fights but he was right there.
      He was known as one of the greatest light heavyweights ever. Looking back, he was a very original boxer. He had a very awkward style that had frustrated many of his opponents including Larry Holmes. I suppose Larry wasn't quite at his best during those fights. But, even to beat an older version of him you gotta be damn good!

It appeared as though Tyson totally had his number and he knew it. That was perhaps the reason he left the sport. He was supposed to make a comeback a couple of years after his loss to Mike but it never happened. However, he may have been pretty successful being Tyson was away in jail. Holyfield-Spinks would have been very interesting...

Comment

One of the best boxers I've ever seen, period, the man was incredible.

Massively under rated by the average boxing fan who only remembers him for the Tyson fight, rated accordingly by those that know him for clearing out one of the strongest Light Heavy eras ever.

Comment

Easily an the ATG Light Heavyweight.

Sadly, he's only remembered by the casuals as the guy Tyson mopped up in 1 round.

Comment

I ran into Michael Spinks at a fight when I was a young fan when he got on an elevator I was on.

I remember reading that he was considering a move to heavyweight and I wanted to tell him so bad that it was a dangerous move and maybe he should consider fighting at cruiserweight first. I wanted to tell him I didn't want to see him being beaten like Bob Foster was all those years before.

But being awestruck the only thing that could come out of my mouth was "Hey Michael". Spinks smiled at me and said "Hey" Back.

A couple years later he suprised many by winning the heavyweight title. Perhaps Spinks is underrated by a few but I think most true boxing fans hold him in very high regard.
            Last edited by TBear; 09-07-2012, 05:49 AM.

Comment

Absolutely underrated.

He was truly a great 175lber....and when there he was one of the hardest punchers I have ever seen since I started following boxing in '81.

Despite the Tyson performance, which is what really has lead to his being underrated, he was pretty damn good at heavyweight. Very impressive for a naturally smaller man to have accomplished.

One of my all-time "dream fights" would to have had him at Cruiserweight in 1987 and taking on Holyfield, who was just so awesome at the time.

Comment

Top 5 all time LHW in my book, which makes him a legend any way you slice it.

The Tyson debacle has no bearing on his legacy... or at least it shouldn't.

Comment

Mike was a very good Lt. Heavy and NOT a very good Heavy!! He was a terrific Middle in the amatuers and he and Leon cleaned up in the Olympics at Middle and Lt. Heavy (Leon)!!!
                  He lost to Holmes that was clear and the pay back from the Vegas boys for Holmes's big mouth about Marciano was evident!!! Thats what happened!!!
                  Spinks at 175 against a young 175 Holyfield would be interesting but at Cruiser Holyfield was too strong for Spinks. A very good fighter that to me is a HoF boxer but NOT an all time great. Theres alot of LtHeavies that fit right into his level and I'd guess he's a top 20 guy without giving it to much thought.
                  Yaqui Lopez
                  Bob Foster
                  Bob Montgomery
                  Saad Mohamed
                  Dwight Quawi
                  Eddie Mustafa
                  Victor Galandez
                  Evander Holyfield
                  Archie Moore
                  Duvale'
                  R.J.Jones
                  ........................theres ALOT of very good LtHeavies................Ray.
                  Last edited by Ray Corso; 09-07-2012, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                    Mike was a very good Lt. Heavy and NOT a very good Heavy!! He was a terrific Middle in the amatuers and he and Leon cleaned up in the Olympics at Middle and Lt. Heavy (Leon)!!!
                    He lost to Holmes that was clear and the pay back from the Vegas boys for Holmes's big mouth about Marciano was evident!!! Thats what happened!!!
                    Spinks at 175 against a young 175 Holyfield would be interesting but at Cruiser Holyfield was too strong for Spinks. A very good fighter that to me is a HoF boxer but NOT an all time great. Theres alot of LtHeavies that fit right into his level and I'd guess he's a top 20 guy without giving it to much thought.
                    Yaqui Lopez
                    Bob Foster
                    Bob Montgomery
                    Saad Mohamed
                    Dwight Quawi
                    Eddie Mustafa
                    Victor Galandez
                    Evander Holyfield
                    Archie Moore
                    Duvale'
                    R.J.Jones
                    ........................theres ALOT of very good LtHeavies................Ray.
                    Qawi, Lopez and EMM are on the same level as Spinks ?.

Bob Montgomery was a lightweight.

Galindez and Duvale are not on Spinks' level, neither is Holyfield at Light Heavy.
                    Last edited by NChristo; 09-07-2012, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X