Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need to ask some unbiased, smart people...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i thought barrera won, it was very close. and had he got credit in for that knockdown he would have won by an even bigger margin

Comment

I believe you can make a very strong claim for Barrera winning. Marquez had more dominant rounds than Barrera did, and I think thats what sticks out in peoples' minds. But for most the rounds it was incredibly competitive, and a large amount of the early rounds could have gone either way.

Barrera also seemed to run out of gas as the fight went on, and Marquez definitely closed stronger than Barrera. But for a large portion of the early parts of the fight, Barrera was busting up Marquez's face pretty bad.

not to mention the mess where Barrera was not awarded a very, very obvious knockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
        I have seen so many people in since the fight between Marquez and Barrera saying they think Barrera not only did really well, but actually won. I saw it again from someone saying that while Marquez's resume is great, he thought Barrera won.

While he fought what I think was his last great effort and fight, I don't think there is any possible way, no matter what you are looking for, that Barrera could have won that. In fact, I think the scores were probably closer than they should have been and that it was a definite 116-112 type fight.

Forget the knock down. He had his extra point taken away for the very late punch, and is lucky he wasn't DQ'd. That's not a factor. If it is to you, just look at it like this, even were the KD counted, it only becomes an even round for the point taken off and the fact that Marquez had utterly dominated it to that point.

Anyway, I just don't get it. I've watched that fight many times, and both have been favourites for a long time, so is it just rose tinted glasses or what? Barrera didn't get close to winning the fight, no matter what style of fight you prefer. He lost the boxing match and he lost the fight.

What's the deal guys?

always thought marquez won.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
          m
          b
          b
          b
          m
          b

ima have a cig and watch the rest.
          The 2nd and 4th I can understand, but how do you justify giving the 3rd to MAB?

The only thing Barrera did better in that 3rd round was jab, but Marquez landed harder, more often and more consistently.

Baffling.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post
            The 2nd and 4th I can understand, but how do you justify giving the 3rd to MAB?

The only thing Barrera did better in that 3rd round was jab, but Marquez landed harder, more often and more consistently.

Baffling.

i disagree, i dont know the compubox stats but it seems they landed about the same number of power punches while it seemed that marquez threw more. id say they were even for the round other then barrera doing an excelent job of slipping marquez's power punches and landing with the jab, so i give it to him.

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/vi..._marquez_final

here they are

so 11 out of 30 and 19 out of 44 37% vs 43%

guess power punches went that even

jabs though were

15 out of 36 and 3 out of 23 or 42% to 13%

given this i still feel the same but less emphasis on the slipping power punches and more on beating him with the jab.
            Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 05-05-2012, 06:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X