Collapse
No announcement yet.

WBO refuses to sanction Golovkin-Pirog

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The WBO middleweight belt has always been worthless historically.

Good to see them keep up the tradition.

Comment

I suspect the only reason NDam is pushing for this is cause he knows Pirog wants the US fight badly, and is willing to drop the belt. This is a guy that was all too happy to sit on his interim wba belt, and only gave it up when he skipped on the 3rd purse bid for his shot against wba regular champ GG. His maneuvering into this wbo interim belt is straight out of a sitcom.

Comment

Kind of a tricky situation, pirog prob draws crowds in Russia as he is WBO champ but this kind of fight will add to his resume and reputation he's in a bit of situation here.

Comment

Golovkin announced today that the fight is going ahead. From fight news:

WBA/IBO middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (23-0, 20 KOs) says he will fight WBO middleweight champion Dmitry Pirog (20-0, 15 KOs) on August 25 at a site to be named in the USA. Golovkin made the announcement in an interview with fight news.com reporter Alexey Potapov on the RingSide Show in Kiev, Ukraine. “For me, it was important to fight Felix Sturm, but he signed a contract to fight against Daniel Geale."

"For me, the fight against Dmitry Pirog in the United States is a good opportunity to show myself in the mecca of professional boxing. I have long wanted to get into the ring in America. Pirog is a good boxer, a strong puncher, but I am too. This will be a great fight.” The boxers will fight for the Golovkin’s WBA/IBO belts, because Pirog was obliged to defend his title against Frenchman Hassan N’Dam N’Jikam.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
            Golovkin announced today that the fight is going ahead. From fight news:
            Good shit!
            If it's on the east coast, i'll be there

Comment

This is excellent news. A great match-up, a true pick-em fight, don't have to worry about a robbery.

It's matchups like this that keep me going as a boxing fan.

Comment

A fight in the states and on HBO.... if Sergio can't fight JCC Jr.... he should fight one of these guys

Comment

About damn time Pirog gets back on HBO after beating Jacobs. Can't wait to watch this fight. We'll find out if Golovkin is for real. Would love to see the winners of Pirog-Golovkin and Sturm-Geale fight.

Comment

Working...
                  X