No announcement yet.

Who is more skilled. Floyd Mayweather or Roberto Duran

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WolfGirl View Post
    Well, Floyd is better defensively. Great counter punching, sitting back, it is actually the foundation of Floyd's game set. Of course Floyd is much more than that, but the defense is what he uses to build up on.

That being said, Roberto Duran also had pretty good defensive abilities as well for someone of his offensive mindset. He's not as good as Floyd defensively, but he was actually pretty solid at slipping shots when he was attacking and he didn't nearly get hit as much during his peak as people want you to believe.

We talking about offense and Floyd of course have underrated offense just like Duran had underrated defense. Floyd had underrated power as well, but it's a no brainier Duran is the better offensively skilled fighter.
    FLoyd just didn't have the variety and power/style application of Duran on offense.
    Now, I personally believe Floyd's offense was closer to Duran's offense than Duran's defense was closer to Floyd's. But just barely.

The key point though is that Duran has displayed his skills for a longer period of time against much tougher opposition. That is the key to it all.

Can Floyd's defense still look like a perfect 10 against Ray Leonard? Or will Ray break him down? Can Floyd still attempt to attack a couple years from now when he's old and shot against a much bigger prime MiddleWeight like Duran did against Iran?

Even against Barkley you still see the flashes of skills which made Duran great. And in this regard of moving up to fight big MW'S it's not being unfair to Floyd. Hagler/Hearns/Leonard were the much bigger men, Duran not so much.

So if Duran can go up and KO Barkley, Floyd surely can do it against someone like a Chavez JR?

You can't just look at the very peak of every fighter when judging skills, you must also have a sample size of when they are past prime and have lost most of their physical attributes. For Floyd, that sample size have not come yet.

But it is hard to believe, Floyd can pull off a Iran Barkley regardless of how skilled he is.
    Give credit to Hands of Iron.

Comment

• Originally posted by damuttz112 View Post
      **** no. I will not. His views are good but I expanded upon it and fixed a lot of what was wrong. (And there was a lot, his love of Duran has blinded him to Duran's faults, not to the extend that Floyd nut huggers are blind though)
      Last edited by WolfGirl; 11-22-2012, 06:08 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by damuttz112 View Post
        I read more of his posts. This is mine

"""
        When Duran fought Sugar Ray that first time, he actually boxed really well via counter punching and avoiding Leonard's own offensive bursts. He had good feinting skills and used his footwork to quickly close any distance gaps.
        He showed really good defense on par with Mayweather during spurts against Leonard.

Mayweather on the other hand also showed really great offense against Ndou and Corrales. In fact Mayweather's offensive bursts and performance against those fighters were probably on par with some of Duran's better offensive displays.

The issue is that Duran showed great defensive abilities against Sugar Ray Loenard (arguably the 2nd best WW of all times) Floyd showed great offensive abilities against Corrales and Ndou.

I'm not saying Floyd is incapable of showing great offensive abilities against someone of Leonard or Hearn's skill set, but he never had the chance, so we will never know. We actually DO know Duran was capable of elite defense against very elite opponents.

As for Hearns. I honestly think that Hearns was just the Foreman to Duran's Frazier in that styles make fights and Duran would never have beaten Tommy.
        Tommy was a freak of nature. A 6'2 boxer/puncher fighting against 147-154 guys."""

Hand of Iron is a poor man's WolfGirl.
        In fact if IMcGrain isn't blocking me, I would have destroyed that pathetic wannabe thread of theirs.

You guys totally miss the point and never once talk about the fights in which Duran showed equal abilities to Floyd's defense and the fights in which Floyd showed equal abilities to Duran's offense and than correlate it accordingly.

That entire ESB Thread is just a bunch of moron idiots arguing about who's *** tasted nicer.
        Last edited by WolfGirl; 11-22-2012, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X