This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by George Nada View Post
    Ike Ibeabuchi vs David Tua- Damn...what a war. Both fighters dished out and took some bombs in that fight. I thought Tua edged it or I could see it a draw but the judges gave it to Ike. The fans were the winners in that fight.

Ike Ibeabuchi vs Chris Byrd- Byrd was a very elusive heavyweight who threw pitty pat punches and it usually was enough to get him by. Not in this fight though as Ike closed the distance by the 3rd round and KO'd Byrd by the 5th. This fight also showed Larry Merchant's disdain for defensive fighters. He was hating on Chris non stop during the fight about his style and was hating more when Chris was complaining about the ref stopping the fight.
    Larry is just ridiculous with his bias...

Comment

• Originally posted by wmute View Post
      Larry is just ridiculous with his bias...
      I was surprised that it went back that far. That fight took place around 13 years ago. It's like he expects fighters to just slug it out or if they are good boxers he expects them to be KO artists. That's not what boxing is about. I need to check out some of his commentary on some of the Whitaker fights probably hated on that defensive wiz too.

Comment

• Ricardo Lopez vs Alex El Nene Sanchez- I read somewhere that Lopez was the basis for the Ricardo Martinez character on Hajime no Ippo. I can believe it. This guy fought like a damn surgeon. In the 2nd round Lopez floored Sanchez with a right. In the 4th a point was taken away from Sanchez for hitting Lopez after he slipped and his gloves were on the canvas. It wouldn't matter since Sanchez wouldn't see the final bell. In the 5th round Lopez just finishes him off for a TKO victory retaining the WBC portion and winning the WBO portion of the straw weight title. I've heard that Lopez is one of the greatest fighters of all time and looking at these fights I can see it. Going to have to look at a couple more.
        Last edited by Sheppirino; 10-18-2012, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Joel Casamayor vs Roberto Garcia- It's crazy looking how Garcia looked back then and seeing how he looks now as a coach. Garcia fought pretty well in this fight. I gave him rounds 3-5. But in the 6th Casa came out gun blazing and caught Garcia with a few good shots. Some of those shots hit Garcia in the back of the head so he was deducted a point. Garcia did ok until the 9th round in which he got caught with a left and went down. He got up but Casa finished him off until the ref stopped it. I have to say for all of his pinpoint accuracy type shots Casa was still a dirty fighter in his prime.

Ricardo Lopez vs Javier Varguez- Varguez showed a lot of heart in this fight. No matter how many shots Lopez would land Javier would just keep coming. In the 5th Lopez lands a bunch of shots and Varguez motions with his gloves to bring it on. He does the same in the 7th. In the 8th the ref finally waves it off seeing how Varguez had too much heart for his own good.

Comment

• Juan Manuel Marquez vs. Terdsak Jandaeng- What a funny ass name for a fighter...Terdsak. Jandaeng was a southpaw who seemed to pack a good punch. In the 2nd round Marquez scored a knockdown that started with a left uppercut. In the 3rd a point was taken away from Jandaeng for low blows. Terdsak had a good 4th round with lefts and had Marquez's right eye swelling up. In the 5th Marquez starts catching TJ with some good uppercuts. In the 6th Marquez scored another knockdown and in the 7th the ref stopped the fight. TJ's style really reminded me of how Ponce De Leon fights. A slow southpaw who hits hard but will always struggle with a superior boxer.

Manny Pacquiao vs. Lehlo Ledwaba- This was the fight that introduced me to Pac. I didn't see it when it happened but I had read the results of the fight in Ring magazine in which Pac was named Fighter of the Month. I knew he would accomplish good things but I had no idea that he would have accomplished what he has today. Pac was a substitute in this fight who took it on short notice. The HBO announcers had no idea who he was with Larry commenting that the greatest Filipino fighter was Flash Elorde. Foreman couldn't even pronounce his name right at first. Manny made a hell of a first impression as he had already bloodied Ledwaba's nose by the end of the first. He scored a knockdown in the 2nd. Ledwaba tried to come back with bodyshots but to no avail. From round 3 to 5 it was all Pac landing with straight lefts to body and head. Ledwaba would land an occasional jab or right but Pac was not affected. In the 6th Pac would floor Ledwaba with a straight left. He would beat the count only to get floored again a few seconds later. After that the ref waves off the fight and Pac would win a title at 122lbs.

Comment

• Keiji Yamaguchi vs Pichit Chor Siriwat a flyweight title bout from 1969. Great final round which almost produced a double knockdown. Yamaguchi was a good tall boxer that made the mistake of trading with his opponent.

Comment

• Mike Tyson vs Tyrell Biggs- Biggs was an outstanding amateur who had won a gold medal in the 84' Olympics in the super heavyweight division. In the pro ranks he didn't do as well. In this fight he had an ok first round in which he tried to use his jab to keep Mike away. He was even talking trash to Mike during and after the first round. Afterwards from round 2 to round 7 it was all Mike hunting him down breaking him down with power shots. Biggs would just be looking to survive by holding or fleeing. I noticed how Rooney used a number code to tell Mike what combos to throw. So instead of jab, jab, right to body (example) he would just say 5,5,4. Mike floors Biggs in the 7th and Biggs beats the count to get knocked out.

Duran vs Cuevas- Good action fight with Cuevas trying to slug it out with Duran. He gets in some good bodyshots but in the 3rd round Duran starts using his jab more. In the 4th Duran lands a combo that has Cuevas reeling in the corner and the ref starts to count. Cuevas beats the count but Duran ends up finishing him off with another knockdown with the ref waving it off.

Comment

• Kostya Tsyzu vs. Miguel Angel Gonzalez- In the 1st round Gonzalez is cut on an accidental butt. He must have thought Tsyzu did it on purpose because he intentionally tries to butt him back getting a warning from the ref. Halfway into the 2nd Tsyzu rocks Gonzalez with a left right combo. Gonzalez again tries to headbutt and gets another warning. Tsyzu lands other good shots before the end of the 2nd. In the 4th the ref takes away a point from Gonzalez for using his shoulder on the break. The 5th has Tsyzu dishing out all kinds of punishment as he keeps Gonzalez in the corner and on the ropes landing good shots. Rounds 6-8 is more of the same with Tsyzu increasing the punishment in the 8th. By the 10th round Gonzalez's corner stops the fight.

This fight was a one sided beatdown. Gonzalez had no answer but to fight dirty and in the end he was stopped for the first time in his career. Masterful performance by Tsyzu.

Comment

• Tommy Hearns vs. Roberto Duran- Duran had just come off losing a decision to Marvin Hagler. Now he was going to face the Hit Man. In the 1st round Tommy uses his 11" reach advantage to keep Duran at bay and even opens up a small cut. He also floors him with a right. Duran beats the count but gets knocked down again before the end of the bell. After beating the count Duran goes to the wrong corner. At 2:01 of the 2nd round Hearns lands a cracking right that sends Duran face first into the canvas and the ref waves it off.
                    Last edited by Sheppirino; 10-26-2012, 01:37 AM.

Comment

• Larry Holmes vs. Randall "Tex" Cobb- A 15 round one sided boxing lesson dished out by Holmes. Tex showed an iron chin and will but was never in the fight at any point. Commentator Howard Cosell voices his disgust for the fight around the 9th round. He brings up previous deaths in boxing and calls this fight a brutalization. Cobb lasts the entire fight with neither the ref or Cobb's corner coming close to calling it off. Larry retains the championship by decision.
                      Last edited by Sheppirino; 10-31-2012, 02:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X