No announcement yet.

Larry Merchant: "Maidana makes you get into a fight with him"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larry Merchant: "Maidana makes you get into a fight with him"

These wurrr Merchant's exact words when Khan-Maidana took place. Amir Khan was outboxing, and outlanding Maidana strategically, or systematically. Yet, he couldn't keep Maidana of him, nor discourage him. Evidently Maidana kept closing the gap, which is why Merchant stated, "Maidana makes you fight."

Don't forget about this if Ortiz ever rematches Madaina. I bring this up because I hear many of you claiming Ortiz will easily outbox Maidana, or stating all he has to do is box, and he wins. It's not that easy against Maidana. His momentum steady increases as you move back despite you boxing, or simply on the retreat. Ortiz moves in straight lines, which plays into Maidana's momentum, as was visible in thurrr first fight, and in the Khan fight.

I predict a war between the two in the future. Will Ortiz quit again? It's highly possible. But let us not count out Maidana so soon, nor neglect his attributes, which undeniably won him the first fight in thurrr ring.

bump........

Comment

too much action at 140 for Maidana to move up
      shouldn't be overconfident just because he beat Ortiz before
      at 147 Ortiz KO's Maidana

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napier View Post
        too much action at 140 for Maidana to move up
        shouldn't be overconfident just because he beat Ortiz before
        at 147 Ortiz KO's Maidana
        Ortiz did look a lot stronger didn't he. Plus, he also put a look of doubt, and uncertain defeat to Maidana in their first fight. He certainly has the tools to defeat Maidana, yet it will not be as easy as many here are claiming. Ortiz will have to go through hell again, but with his new confidence, power, and determination I think he can get the best of Maidana.

It's certainly a toss up because Maidana did make him quit after all. That mental aspect will play a factor in the fight, and the mentality of Ortiz. I think Maidana should say **** it and move up to 147. I doubt he will be fighting Khan anytime soon, so just take a Morales rematch and move up.

I have a feeling Khan and Bradley will move up to 147 too.

Comment

Look at Ortiz's face after 6 rounds with Maidana. compared to his face after 12 rounds with Berto.

Facts don't lie. Unless he puts the winning gloves on him Erik Morales style, Ortiz is getting carved up again. Morales fight could've easily been stopped due to the eye. I've seen fights stopped for less (the last khan fight? LOL)

Nobody walks out of a Maidana fight unblemished. Kotelnik is a defensive genius and he had his guard up all night still looked like he dove head first into a rose bush. Khan's got the fastest legs in the industry(for running away) and he couldn't run away the whole fight.

Ortiz is a slugger at heart and he will slug it out with Maidana again. it's just a bad style match-up. Maidana is a better inside fighter as well.

Comment

Maidana is shot. He hasn't had the same snap in his punches since he beat Ortiz. His punches were crispier back then.

Comment

Originally posted by MGM-134 View Post
              Maidana is shot. He hasn't had the same snap in his punches since he beat Ortiz. His punches were crispier back then.
              Steward always goofs and says that pare
              "his punches are crispier" :laugh:
              and people forget Maidana was down a few times before the end
              Ortiz beats him if they fight again
              he barely got by ancient Terrible who was one eyed for 11 rounds

Comment

Ortiz was hurt and tired in that fight, he's looks much stronger and fitter at WW.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napier View Post
                  Steward always goofs and says that pare
                  "his punches are crispier" :laugh:
                  and people forget Maidana was down a few times before the end
                  Ortiz beats him if they fight again
                  he barely got by ancient Terrible who was one eyed for 11 rounds
                  you reacted exactly as i thought you would.

this thread is going exactly like i thought.

Comment

I could be dead wrong cause im going to propose an 'if' but I think if Ortiz showed proper respect to maidana in the 1st rd and after knocking down Ortiz didn't get caught with that huge right I think that fight coulda gone much different. I do think Ortiz is the better overall fighter and I wouldn't expect him to box maidana cause that's not really the way he fights himself. But he'd def fight more intelligently in the rematch. I wouldnt say I know Ortiz would win, but I would favor him. As long as he can consistently stay mentally strong and determined like he was in the berto fight. This is def a rematch I wanna see, hope gbp gets I done ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                    X