Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should/Could HBO create a superbowl/wrestlemania for boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should/Could HBO create a superbowl/wrestlemania for boxing?

By that I mean set a date each year (i.e May 5th) where they can get a great card of fights and promoters will come to them each year offering their talent.. Could get some good advertisement money and if they do it consistently, good PPV numbers.

I think it's more possible to happen when Floyd/Manny are gone because they can demand dates and draw 1 M + on their own.

I'm talking about cards including 8-10 semi big names and maybe several lesser known P4p fighters (i.e Ward), get some Mexicans on the card and sell out in a big stadium ala Cowboys Stadium.

Superbowl is set up by the NFL, Wrestlemania by WWE etc

Boxing doesn't have one company or man that sets up dates, deals with purses etc.Even the UFC is a company that houses the majority of the worlds best fighters

Boxing is too scattered to pull off something like that

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeniable View Post
      Superbowl is set up by the NFL, Wrestlemania by WWE etc

Boxing doesn't have one company or man that sets up dates, deals with purses etc.Even the UFC is a company that houses the majority of the worlds best fighters

Boxing is too scattered to pull off something like that
      Showtime showed great initiative with the Super 6 now it's time for HBO to do something big like this.

They got Ken Hershman too now, would be difficult for sure but if some of the promoters wouldn't mind losing a little or gaining less than they could for a big event to showcase their fighters it could conceivably work.

A big card with 8-10 named fighters on there with a million or so watching could make stars with good match making.

Comment

Money and promoters will keep that from ever happening. Now if boxing had a commisioner who called all the shots and all promoters did was "promote" under him, then its a possibility. But im sure these promoters will make more money having there big name fighters fight on seperate cards.

Comment

They should but they won't.

Comment

I just think it's the way forward once Manny and Floyd are gone, how else are they gonna make a star/get big PPV numbers?

Canelo is the air to the PPV throne and a good one at that but he's the only one out there, who knows.. maybe Broner can make enough people hate him to watch him fight.

Comment

Also these fighters would be put on the shelf for a long time afterwards.Instead of having a host of cards throughout the year you'd be blowing your load on one night. Fighters like Canelo, Ward, Gamboa etc all on one card would mean they won't be fighting again until the fall.

The summer would be boring

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeniable View Post
                Also these fighters would be put on the shelf for a long time afterwards.Instead of having a host of cards throughout the year you'd be blowing your load on one night. Fighters like Canelo, Ward, Gamboa etc all on one card would mean they won't be fighting again until the fall.

The summer would be boring
                That's a good point but putting them on at once would attract more viewers, good PPV numbers and make them bigger to casual fans.

of course they'd have to perform on the night.

Comment

Working...
                X