No announcement yet.

Calzaghe-Kessler: Who's Your Pick?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dimebar View Post
    Manny Siaca and Markus Beyer were the two worst titlists in boxing, and Kessler is (pretty much officially) the most padded fighter in boxing history.

This is a waste of time.
    Yup, laughed at this too, very funny from a neutral perspective.

lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by $iN View Post
      Calzaghe wasn't considered the best in his division until he beat Lacy last year. At the time Calzaghe fought Lacy, Calzaghe was ranked #1 and Lacy #3 with Kessler at #2. It took about 9 years for Calzaghe to fight another champion at 168. Kessler did it in just his third title defense. Calzaghe has the RING title, but he's not undisputed because many people feel Kessler is a big threat to him...

Calzaghe wasnt considered the best until after beating Lacy, and yet at the time of fighting Lacy you say it went:

1). Calzaghe.
      2). Kessler.
      3). Lacy.

??? How was he not considered the best if he was number 1?

Comment

Originally posted by Miksterious View Post
        Calzaghe wasnt considered the best until after beating Lacy, and yet at the time of fighting Lacy you say it went:

1). Calzaghe.
        2). Kessler.
        3). Lacy.

??? How was he not considered the best if he was number 1?
        He wasn't RING champion. He was #1 purely on longevity, not on who he'd beaten. Why would he be an underdog to Lacy in his backyard if everyone really thought he was the best fighter at 168?

Comment

Thats still number 1 though, isnt it?

Who did/have the other guys beat that would legitimately cause them to oust Calzaghe for the top spot?

Comment

Thats still number 1 though, isnt it?

Who did/have the other guys beat that would legitimately cause them to oust Calzaghe for the top spot?
            Let me put it this way: if Kessler was around before Calzaghe he would have been at #1. None of the top 3 had beaten anyone to prove they were the top dog until 2 of them finally got together...

Comment

Let me put it this way: if Kessler was around before Calzaghe he would have been at #1. None of the top 3 had beaten anyone to prove they were the top dog until 2 of them finally got together...
              Indeed, but by your own admission, as none of them had fought opposition that dwarfed the others, then the guy who has been there longest is the top guy. Because he has proven that he isnt a flash in the pan, he's been doing the same thing as the other guys have...but for longer. I think that longevity is underrated, performing time and time again for so long and never getting complacent enough to lose is very impressive. So Calzaghe is top by longevity until either he is beat, until someone faces tougher quality than him or until the manner of someone's victories becomes too overwhelming to ignore.

Not only has none of that happened yet (or for the best part of 10 years), but also the one time any of the top few guys have stepped in to face each other...Calzaghe won the fight.

Therefore his reign as number 1 isnt just for longevity and it is justified.

Comment

Kessler's a good fighter but I gotta go with Joe on this one, he's the better boxer, has the better deffense, better stamina, better experience and has power as well.

Comment

Indeed, but by your own admission, as none of them had fought opposition that dwarfed the others, then the guy who has been there longest is the top guy. Because he has proven that he isnt a flash in the pan, he's been doing the same thing as the other guys have...but for longer. I think that longevity is underrated, performing time and time again for so long and never getting complacent enough to lose is very impressive. So Calzaghe is top by longevity until either he is beat, until someone faces tougher quality than him or until the manner of someone's victories becomes too overwhelming to ignore.

Not only has none of that happened yet (or for the best part of 10 years), but also the one time any of the top few guys have stepped in to face each other...Calzaghe won the fight.

Therefore his reign as number 1 isnt just for longevity and it is justified.
                  As I said, the point is moot now because he became the true champion when he beat Lacy. Still, Kessler is the biggest threat to Calzaghe and he's been the #1 contender to Calzaghe for a couple of years now...

Comment

I don't know, but I think that Kessler can give him hell...I just hope this fight is done.

Comment

That must be why he was a huge underdog to Jeff Lacy...
                      He was an underdog against Lacy because he hadn't been seen at his best for years and years, looked absolutely awful against Salem (really looked at the end of the road) and broke his hand badly against Ashira.

Nobody considered Calzaghe not to be the top guy after the Eubank fight, infact nobody considered anybody else to be close. He was cleanly the best guy.

Comment

Working...
                      X