This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    I don't think that this is true. Almost every religion promotes violence in some way with the notable exception being Jainism.
    well in the sense that Christianity should be based off the words of Christ, Christianity is also compeletly non violent.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruby Robert View Post
      well in the sense that Christianity should be based off the words of Christ, Christianity is also compeletly non violent.
      Christianity is not completely non-violent at all, and the words of christ were occasionally very violent, despite being carefully chosen for non-violence by the Roman Emperor Constantine when he made it the official religion of Rome to appease the violent Christian barbarians that were growing in influence.

Besides, the Old Testament is unspeakably violent, and Jesus throughout approves of the Old Testament.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
        Christianity is not completely non-violent at all, and the words of christ were occasionally very violent, despite being carefully chosen for non-violence by the Roman Emperor Constantine when he made it the official religion of Rome to appease the violent Christian barbarians that were growing in influence.

Besides, the Old Testament is unspeakably violent, and Jesus throughout approves of the Old Testament.
        You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.' But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.
        —Matthew 5:38-42, NIV

I do believe that god would be one of the main violent people in the old testimate, and to claim that because god was violent we our selfs can be violent would be putting our selfs on the same level as god. god is not an example he is a teacher, dont do what he does only what he says, jesus is the example.

or atleast thats what a non violent Christian would say while on the other hand most christians would of course just stick with the whole god was violent so we can be violent.

returning to my point that its really the people and not the religion.

though i guess i cant really say that no religions promote violence.
        Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 08-11-2010, 04:47 AM.

Comment

returning to my point that its really the people and not the religion.
          But the Qur'an is said to be the literal and infallible word of god, whereas the Bible is just a collection of writings by loads of people over time.

So if there are verses in the Qur'an which instruct Muslims to do certain things, then surely it's the religion itself which is to be held accountable?

But hey, if women are happy to let their man "enter" them whenever they like...

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
            But the Qur'an is said to be the literal and infallible word of god, whereas the Bible is just a collection of writings by loads of people over time.

So if there are verses in the Qur'an which instruct Muslims to do certain things, then surely it's the religion itself which is to be held accountable?
            and theres also verses that instruct them not to impede the flow of society.

one can look at the violence as impeding the flow of society and thus not perform the violent act or one can look at the violence as a way to remove what is impeding society thus allowing the violence.

its all up to the person.

Comment

Some are some are not,just like Christianty, all religion sucks i believe in god but i refuse to believe in some book written by common men.

Comment

and theres also verses that instruct them not to impede the flow of society.
                The book is very contradictory in parts. It's all one big muddle, really.

one can look at the violence as impeding the flow of society and thus not perform the violent act or one can look at the violence as a way to remove what is impeding society thus allowing the violence.
                Or one can just read the verse and make a choice on whether or not to do what it says. Simple as. Do what it says it and you're a good Muslim; don't do it and Allah be not pleased - he even 'knows' if one hesitates or has doubts. Oo-er! :scared1:

its all up to the person.
                Not if Allah has anything to do with it. There's no pick and choose, otherwise it's not Islam - at least from what I've gathered (I'm certainly not proclaiming to be an expert on any religion, but I always try and read up on the madness every now and again).

Shintoism rules, though. If I had to pick any religion to follow, I'd get with the Japanese. :thumbs1:

Comment

Originally posted by PittyPat View Post
                  The book is very contradictory in parts. It's all one big muddle, really.

Or one can just read the verse and make a choice on whether or not to do what it says. Simple as. Do what it says it and you're a good Muslim; don't do it and Allah be not pleased - he even 'knows' if one hesitates or has doubts. Oo-er! :scared1:

Not if Allah has anything to do with it. There's no pick and choose, otherwise it's not Islam - at least from what I've gathered (I'm certainly not proclaiming to be an expert on any religion, but I always try and read up on the madness every now and again).

Shintoism rules, though. If I had to pick any religion to follow, I'd get with the Japanese. :thumbs1:
                  as you said its a muddle everything contradicts. if your educated in the quran you can argue about the quran and use those contradictions in any way you want to.

also when you got some priest telling you this or that passage and thus you must do blah blah blah its still your own fault for belonging to a religion you know nothing about.

so its really still up to the person.

Comment

Originally posted by MARKBNLV View Post
                    Some are some are not,just like Christianty, all religion sucks i believe in god but i refuse to believe in some book written by common men.
                    Be a christian then.. Christianity is not a religion, but a personal relationship with God.

Comment

Originally posted by phook View Post
                      Be a christian then.. Christianity is not a religion, but a personal relationship with God.
                      And Islam is submission to god. Same thing, more or less.

Comment

Working...
                      X