Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Fight Did Larry Merchant Say This??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Fight Did Larry Merchant Say This??

Okay so my brother and I are trying to figure what fight this took place...

So it's Larry Merchant, he's giving his final word/speech on the fight that just finished, and he's taking about how this "fighter* found a truck in an alley and this fighter would find a way to break the truck's wind sheild, pop the tires, break the lights, and find a way to win, but tonight.......the, truck, won."

We been trying to remember for a long time now what card that was in. It made my brother and I laugh so hard but we can't remember which fight was it. It must of been like 10 years ago or so. To this day my brother and I still use that quote, "But tonight, the truck won"

For the life of us we can't remember which fight was this in. Please help me out!

Thx in advance!

*Can't remember which fighter it was.

Originally posted by fceeviper View Post
    Okay so my brother and I are trying to figure what fight this took place...

So it's Larry Merchant, he's giving his final word/speech on the fight that just finished, and he's taking about how this "fighter* found a truck in an alley and this fighter would find a way to break the truck's wind sheild, pop the tires, break the lights, and find a way to win, but tonight.......the, truck, won."

We been trying to remember for a long time now what card that was in. It made my brother and I laugh so hard but we can't remember which fight was it. It must of been like 10 years ago or so. To this day my brother and I still use that quote, "But tonight, the truck won"

For the life of us we can't remember which fight was this in. Please help me out!

Thx in advance!

*Can't remember which fighter it was.
    This is a guess, but-

Before facing Aaron Pryor, Alexis Arguello was described as a guy who could do all of those things- "break the truck's wind sheild, pop the tires, break the lights, and find a way to win". He lost (obviously) to Pryor....

So, my guess is Pryor-Arguello I

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
      This is a guess, but-

Before facing Aaron Pryor, Alexis Arguello was described as a guy who could do all of those things- "break the truck's wind sheild, pop the tires, break the lights, and find a way to win". He lost (obviously) to Pryor....

So, my guess is Pryor-Arguello I
      Mmmh, not sure it was that long ago maybe a more recent fight, but thanks anyways!

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's a Pernell Whitaker fight. Not sure which one, I'll check tomorrow, maybe after his UD loss to Trinidad, I was just watching his career set too.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
            I'm pretty sure it's a Pernell Whitaker fight. Not sure which one, I'll check tomorrow, maybe after his UD loss to Trinidad, I was just watching his career set too.
            Oh shiet! I think you maybe right, now I have to find that fight card somehow to be sure..

Comment

Okay I just checked and yeah, it's right after Felix Trinidad beat Pernell Whitaker by unanimous decision. I thought that sounded familiar.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
                Okay I just checked and yeah, it's right after Felix Trinidad beat Pernell Whitaker by unanimous decision. I thought that sounded familiar.
                Dude you're awesome!!

Now, where can I find this video? Can you help me get it please.

Comment

You mean online? Don't know, it's not on Youtube? If not, PM me and I'll tell you the guy I got my career set from, it's got the Merchant quote at the end. Oh yeah and here's the exact quote for anyone interested. Amazing timing that someone happened to ask this right after I watched this too:

"Once upon an time it seemed that Pernell Whitaker could stand in a very narrow alley and be a matador against an onrushing truck, somehow pop out its lights and slash its tires. Tonight...the truck, won"-Larry Merchant following Felix Trinidad's unanimous decision win over Pernell Whitaker.

I thought Jim Lampley had a good quote on the Hopkins/Dawson undercard fight of Dewey Bozella vs. Larry Hopkins in which Bozella at 52 wins a 4 round UD and then promptly retired. The story was that Dewey did something like 22 years for a crime he didn't commit, was told he'd be released if he confessed, refused to confess, wrote to people like Barry Sheck's Innocence Project (mentioned in the movie Conviction, great movie, by the way, also a true story about someone wrongly convicted), finally gets released and at 52 finally gets to compete in a pro boxing match. Anyway the Lampley quote was:

"So the message is clear. Did you ever have a dream that you thought was out of reach? Maybe it's not"-Jim Lampley

I also liked how Bozella said he wanted to work with kids and through boxing keep them off the streets and that Max Kellerman was one of his favorite announcers lol.

Comment

Originally posted by fceeviper View Post
                    Dude you're awesome!!

Now, where can I find this video? Can you help me get it please.
                    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y9C2FQH7 BOOOM

Comment

Working...
                    X