Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Letting Evander Holyfield Down Gently

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” – Letting Evander Holyfield Down Gently

by David P. Greisman - It is not so much hypocrisy as it is inconsistency.

When the fighters are in the ring, we exhibit blood lust, expecting the combatants to abandon caution and common sense in favor of inordinate amounts of violence and valor.

Yet when these warriors are in decline, we show mercy. They are not what they once were. They cannot give us what we still want. And so we no longer want them to fight – even though that is all we know of them, and even though that is all they know themselves.

How long have we pleaded for Evander Holyfield to retire?

How long have we heard him speak of his goal to once again become “the undisputed heavyweight champion of the world”?

How long has he pursued that goal with tunnel vision, never getting any closer than he was when he first voiced it?

How long have we watched him get older but keep on fighting?

It has been 10 years and five months since Holyfield last won a world title fight, more than a decade since that first bout of his trilogy with John Ruiz was contested for a vacant title belt.

He has fought 13 times since then, winning six, losing six, and fighting to one draw. He has challenged for titles, losing to Ruiz in their March 2001 rematch, drawing with Ruiz in their December 2001 rubber match, losing to Chris Byrd in December 2002, losing to Sultan Ibragimov in October 2007 and losing controversially to Nicolay Valuev in December 2008. [Click Here To Read More]

Nobody has the right to tell a fighter he must quit unless he cannot pass the tests required. Obviously he is passing all the tests needed to continue fighting. Do I want him to fight, no! But I will support him when he decides to because in my mind, he beat Valuev and would have never b*tched out vs. a Klitschko like David Haye did. He may not be the warrior we all loved back in the day, but the man is game. And personally, who wants to see Hasim Rahman, John Ruiz, Eddie Chambers, Ray Austin, Audley Harrison, Sam Peter, etc. all get more title shots. Holyfield is as deserving as any of them and it can be argued he did better against Valuev than David Haye did....

Comment

Originally posted by SluggerFan View Post
      Nobody has the right to tell a fighter he must quit unless he cannot pass the tests required. Obviously he is passing all the tests needed to continue fighting. Do I want him to fight, no! But I will support him when he decides to because in my mind, he beat Valuev and would have never b*tched out vs. a Klitschko like David Haye did. He may not be the warrior we all loved back in the day, but the man is game. And personally, who wants to see Hasim Rahman, John Ruiz, Eddie Chambers, Ray Austin, Audley Harrison, Sam Peter, etc. all get more title shots. Holyfield is as deserving as any of them and it can be argued he did better against Valuev than David Haye did....
      Good post!

Comment

Nice work DG.

Comment

As long as he still has the skills and gets a match , I guess he'll continue but there is no way he'll get a fight with hayes or the klichko's like he mentioned in the interview.

Comment

Honestly, at 48, Holyfield is in much lesser danger of getting hurt than Roy Jones, or many other people for that matter.

When was the last time Holyfield took severe punishment ? It is back in 2003, when James Toney stopped him in his tracks.

Since that fight, who can tell Holyfield has been taking inacceptable punishment ? He has arguably beaten Valuev and gave a very tough fight to Ibragimov.

As long as he keeps fighting these journeymen, there is no real problem, as David has suggested. Fortunately enough, the Klits respect Holyfield enough not to give him a shot. I hope it is the same for Haye...

Comment

Originally posted by BatteredKessler View Post

As long as he keeps fighting these journeymen, there is no real problem, as David has suggested. Fortunately enough, the Klits respect Holyfield enough not to give him a shot. I hope it is the same for Haye...

If Bute were a heavyweight he would be targeting Holyfield, who even today is more deserving of a title shot than Brian Magee.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman932 View Post
                If Bute were a heavyweight he would be targeting Holyfield, who even today is more deserving of a title shot than Brian Magee.
                And what does Bute have to do with this article and Holyfield again ? Oh wait, I know, it comes right from your twisted, obsessive mind. You're a mental case, just like Tunney.

Comment

Working...
                X