• weighting for boxing?

should i continue lifting weights for boxing

Originally posted by phook
    lift light weights. Heavy weights will make you stiff in the ring

Comment

Originally posted by phook
      I suggest do little amounts of weight training and make sure you lift the weights quickly. This way you will build muscle mass quicker and you will also increase your speed.

Only a small part of my training regime is taken up by weights...

Comment

My training only consists of about 15-20 mins of weight training.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDozer260
          Man you guys have heard some serious bull**** about lifting weights. Lifting heavy weights will make u stiff in the ring? WTF?! C'mon who told you that or what uneducated article did you read that from. Listen up guys I'm here to tell everyone on this board who have been lied to for years, just so one company could sell their products over free weights, they got it all wrong. one acronym......NFL, says it all. Stiffness is a result of not training flexibility. Keep getting lied to and believing it, while other athletes are combining scientific training and dieting with superior educated boxing coaches, who empasize well rounded skills, you guys are going to get your asses handed to you. Believe what u learn not hearsay. A few good questions since you know so much about muscle physiology triggerhappy, how many motor units to light weights recruit? How many motor units do heavy weights recruit? And last but not least how many motor units does throwing a punch with bad intentions recruit? If you can answer those questions and still show bias for heavyweights then bruh u know a helluva lot more than world renowned scientest , and fo damn sho **** loads more than me.
          Hey jackass i never said that i know so much about muscle physiology i just dont think is a good idea to lift heavey weights while you train for boxing...you beleave what you wanna beleave and ill beleave what i wanna too.

Comment

triggerhappy, u got the crapiest avatar and sig, u bloody foot fetish puff, ugly ass feet, dat **** is nasty

Comment

Originally posted by Pugnacious_Z
              triggerhappy, u got the crapiest avatar and sig, u bloody foot fetish puff, ugly ass feet, dat **** is nasty
              Well who cares what you think, i like them

Comment

BigDozer is right. Proper weighttraining WILL NOT hinder boxing performance but rather strengthen it. The key is to recruit the fast-twitch muscle fibers. Also, maintain a good flexability routine.

Most important to not sacrifice traditional skills training. A well-rounded boxing program will include cardio conditioning, skills training such as shadowboxing, mitts, speed bag, heavy bag etc, sparring AND weight training.

Dozer is also right to point to the NFL as a blueprint. We are talking about most elite ATHLETES (besides some track and field)on the planet. It is really amazing what these men are pyhsically able to do.

Weight training needs to be a part of any boxing program. Just make sure it is the right type of training (ie: not a traditional bodybuilding program) because those who ignore this important aspect of training will suffer.

Comment

Use periodization in with weights. This will allow you to enhance limit strength (max amount of force you can exert), starting strength (ability to activate as many muscle fibers as possible), and explosive strength (ability to continue after starting strength). Limit strength is best trained with 80-90% of your max, starting around 50-70%(also plyometrics are great for starting strength), and explosive strength around 70-80%.

You could do a periodization schedule over a long period of time. Such a schedule would look like this:
                  *3-4 weeks for each step
                  1.) 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps
                  2.) 3-5 sets of 6-8 reps
                  3.) 3-5 sets of 4-6 reps
                  4.) 3-6 sets of 1-3 reps

You could also periodize a week:
                  8-12 reps Monday, 6-8 Wednesday, 3-5 Saturday.

There is no perfect system for everyone. You have to find what you like and what works best and stick with it because everyone's body responds differently to different stimuli. Make sure to keep variation to keep the body guessing and therefore bringing out continuous improvement.

Comment

Lifting weights is important to boxing. The thing is you don't want big arms. So here's the thing you need to do certain things correctly. When you bench you should start at your max and work your way down. this will give you the same strength but smaller arms. If you start below your max and work your way up it will give you big arms like ppl in the nfl. also if you lift many reps of light weights this will make your arms big but won't necessarily make you stronger. And for best results with tightness, before a fight don't lift your max or just don't lift at all up to 7-4 days before a fight

Comment

Working...
                    X