Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WHAT ARE THEY MISSING Vol 3: Lucas Matthysse

He's got power, he's got some boxing skill, and he's tough as nails

But he still struggled with and old Zab Judah, and Devon Alexander

Sure most believe he was robbed in both fights, but the thing about it is, it wasn't one of those robberies... They were close fights

What does he need to officially join the elite?

Nothing, Mattysse is a boss and he's been robbed twice.

Comment

Originally posted by JDezi4 View Post
      He's got power, he's got some boxing skill, and he's tough as nails
      Speed but he doesn't REALLY need it...

Comment

Activity.

When he let's his hands go, he gets his opponents attention with one punch.

Comment

He needs to not give away rounds, so he needs to work a bit more on his conditioning so he feels comfortable throwing more punches early. Just a bit more though as I actually like his efficiency so I don't like the idea of him throwing punches willy-nilly just a bit more so he doesn't fall behind and also does more damage earlier on so he can really step on the gas late.

He could also stand to tighten up a bit on defense and getting hit a bit less would also help in not giving away rounds.

Comment

Ever since the Judah/Alexander fights, Matthysse seems to be fighting with a bit more urgency now. I think that will make all the difference.

Comment

He needs to develop his left hook and left hand in general. His right hand is possessed by Lucifer himself and his straight right is a laser beam but his left needs work. H loops that left too much and opens himself to counters. Also, he needs to be the boss in the ring. He lost rounds to Jewdah and Devon cause he allowed them to dictate the action but vs Soto and Aljose, he fought his fight and had great success.

Comment

Those dubious decisions are the best thing to happen to Lucas, he now fights with a new level of intensity....non stop power punching until he stops or makes his opponent quit. He seems to be out working his opponents now as well, which will help him if the fights go to points.

Comment

People overrate Lucas horribly. If he was more popular his haters would be out of the roof. Just the case of everyone loving an underdog. That being said he IS a stud. I would have said he fights to lackidasical but these days that is nowhere near the case.

Comment

Be Mexican. Or Puerto Rican. All problems solved... but seriously...the FULL support of his promoter.

His defense is horribly underrated as of late. The thing is people seem to have forgotten you can block punches without a high guard ala Winky.. People get caught up with flashy sways and shoulder rolls/counter punches. We've been spoiled I suppose. Matthysse catches punches and does so at close range. He's similar to Garcia in the sense they punch with the opponents except Matthysse is better at puttin his other hand in the way to catch the punch he's to receive (Garcia hasa better hook though...to the head) He also "counters" off of it, he'll throw the hand as soon as it gets hit. He'll catch it with his right and inmediately shoot the right down the pipe. He's a very sneaky fighter who is better than what he appears...even if he might not be as GOOD as people make him OUT to be. He's not just delivering pure violence... He's quietly taking less punishment. Great at putting his hand between his chin and shoulder at very close range, love watching this dude fight. Very crafty and sneaky.

I'm biased towards dude but I honestly think he's the top dog at 140. I though Ajose was one of the top 3 up there and we saw that fight... Garcia atnumber two for me. Rios maybe number 3 right now be he cant cope withDanny's left hook (imo) and Lucas is a better version of Rios..imo..
                    Last edited by NearHypnos; 11-30-2012, 09:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X