No announcement yet.

Malignaggi refuses to fight Senchenko in Ukraine

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kebark View Post
    Germany seems to be catching up to the US in terms of being a boxing super power. It's funny that the money is in the US but the viewers are in Germany. I think, personally, the US domination of boxing is coming to an end, we are seeing more fighters from around the globe becoming real forces, and thanks to the internet we can all watch them. Guys like Nishioka and John have proven that eastern fighters can handle themselves in the US whilst top US guys don't seem to be happy to prove themselves internationally.

Historically, sure the US was the boss, no arguments about it, but they aren't any more, they have what, 3 or 4 of the top 10 p4p fights (well..Ring Magazine's top 10) they used to have 5 or 6. The US don't have a noteworthy heavyweight (the sports "premier division"), their cruiserweights are running off to Europe for fights, they keep flopping in the Olympics...basically what was once a boxing strong hold has weakened BECAUSE other countries (think former soviet countries) have started to see their fighters turning professional en masse. Ukraine for example has seen guys like the Klitschko's, Kotelnik, Senchenko, Dzinziruk, Nuzhnenko and Sydorenko all win titles since the fall of the Soviet empire as the sport has become more global

Yeah I went off topic and rambled but my point is that the US is not longer the only place to make your name.
    lol you better not let Skullsplitter see this post, he will start a 'downfall of Germany boxing thread'

I agree though, boxing's stars are coming from all over the globe now, US boxing's once pre-eminent position is coming, or has come, to an end.

Comment

You think Zaveck got more fighting at home than he did for facing Berto? Khan has certainly chased the American dollar instead of staying in the UK. I might be wrong but I always thought fighters went to the US for HBO's $$$

For some fights sure.

Not all. I think Klitschko's and Sturm as well as Abraham and Kessler made more in Europe than they ever did in the U.S

Like Kessler-Froch made a ton more than Kessler-Ward, and Abraham-Miranda or anyone surely did better than Abraham-Dirrell.

I am sure Klitschko made more fighting Adamek in Poland than Chris Arreola or even Corrie Sanders in L.A.

The point is there is lots of money for guys in Europe. I think more in total than in the U.S to be honest.

Part of me likes the I am the champ, come to me attitude.

I feel like that's how it should be but it's not gonna be.

Comment

You think Zaveck got more fighting at home than he did for facing Berto? Khan has certainly chased the American dollar instead of staying in the UK. I might be wrong but I always thought fighters went to the US for HBO's $$$
        Zavec made 2-3 times as much fighting Berto as he did defending his titles back home, I'm assuming.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
          Uh no. I've already said I think he could win in the states. And it's a little of both. Him beating Paulie there won't get Berto, Ortiz, Clottey etc etc to fight him. Beating Paulie here would make people start talking.

I understand why he would fight in the Ukraine. Same reason why Hozumi fought in Japan. He'd make more money there than going to a place where not many even know who he is.

Believing in someone being robbed because they aren't american or Ukrainian is dumb. If you believe that, you don't believe in the skill of the fighter in question. I believe Senchenko would win either way. I'd like him to be respected on a grander scale. So it goes hand in hand for me.
          So he should fight in the US because he would be more exposed? Thats up to him to decide how exposed he wants to be. Point is there are different countries and it is in his best interest to fight in Ukraine and Paulie's to fight in the US

But Senchenko is the champ, and Paulie is trying to call shots after having 1 WW fight?

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
            Zavec made 2-3 times as much fighting Berto as he did defending his titles back home, I'm assuming.

Slovenia is pretty small though.

And Berto despite HBO overpaying him, is no cash cow.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
              So he should fight in the US because he would be more exposed? Thats up to him to decide how exposed he wants to be. Point is there are different countries and it is in his best interest to fight in Ukraine and Paulie's to fight in the US

But Senchenko is the champ, and Paulie is trying to call shots after having 1 WW fight?
              Makes sense.

Like I said. I understand why he rather fight in the Ukraine and Senchenko should be the one to choose. He is the champ.

I guess it is up to him how much exposure he wants. But as a fan, I think it would be cool for him to get that mention like Canelo and others get. I've been talking about Senchenko on this site for 2 years now. And Malignaggi is a winnable fight that could get him the extra boost so guys like Ortiz or Berto would look at him as a potential fight.

Comment

Working...
              X