Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who should Train Anthony Joshua when he turns pro?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who should Train Anthony Joshua when he turns pro?

Before we start. This is not a thread to go on about that cuban bloke whos name i have already forgotten in the Olympics. OK.

So anyways, Joshua has got the things you can't teach, size, power, fighting heart etc.

his deficiencies are in skill and technical abilities, but that is something that can be taught, IF he gets with a good trainer from the start.

I don't want him going with a UK trainer, as they suck.

Emmanuel Steward would have loved Joshua but sadly that can't happen.

So who's left? Who would you nominate?

Adam booth or mccraken in the uk or Virgil hunter in the us as all these trainers are good with the game plans wich I feel they would need to be due to his inexperience they have all also improved their fighters once they started training them .

Comment

Not really to sure. there hasn't been any trainers focusing on HW's apart from Steward with Wlad.

AS mentioned before Joshua has natural advantages but he will need a trainer who can teach him from ground up. Someone hwo can remould him into a boxer puncher. There is no way he should go to Booth, mckraken as their students, Froch, Groves all like to war and it seems Joshua cannot take a shot to well. He needs someone like Hunter, Richardson who is a great tactician who will devise game plans that stick to his strengths. I can imagine Joshua turning into a wlad type fighter who can KO you but wont put himself at risk due to him having a poor chin. I hope some day the young Erislandy Savon turns pro in the USA. He looked like a LW but with HW size.

Comment

I agree with James. I think McCracken could do a good job.

There ain't that many really good trainers around long term anymore. It seems people do well for a couple of years & then fade away. Buddy McGirt was the next big thing a few years ago then.....

Comment

Originally posted by No1 View Post
          Not really to sure. there hasn't been any trainers focusing on HW's apart from Steward with Wlad.

AS mentioned before Joshua has natural advantages but he will need a trainer who can teach him from ground up. Someone hwo can remould him into a boxer puncher. There is no way he should go to Booth, mckraken as their students, Froch, Groves all like to war and it seems Joshua cannot take a shot to well. He needs someone like Hunter, Richardson who is a great tactician who will devise game plans that stick to his strengths. I can imagine Joshua turning into a wlad type fighter who can KO you but wont put himself at risk due to him having a poor chin. I hope some day the young Erislandy Savon turns pro in the USA. He looked like a LW but with HW size.
          What?

What are you basing that on?

He's never been down, and has fought some of the hardest hitting amateurs out there, it's not like he's David Price whos been down about 200 times as an amateur, he stood up very well to Cammarale's power, and he battered Price.

Comment

Rob McCracken is the best UK trainer. He would do a good job with Joshua.

Comment

Adam Booth.

Comment

early on i think a UK trainer is fine, later on how about Jonathon Banks? He would maybe be retired by the time Josh turns pro and Wlad said he was very impressed with his training methods and in ring advice.

Plus he'll be looking for a star student to start his trianing career with a good prospect...

Comment

Savon mate.

On da real doe,

He needs to go with a good boxing trainer who'll instil basic boxing techniques. At his size, or any size for that matter, he needs to be working behind the jab and making the most of his speed & power.

He needs to avoid bulking up too much, he's a natural heavyweight - we don't want another Bruno on our hands (that's not really a bad thing).

McCracken is a good shout, great trainer and he's involved in the GB set-up, so that means quality sparring. However, he's involved in training close to 20 fighters so I cannot see him expanding his professional stable. We'll have to see what happens with Froch, once Froch retires I believe McCracken will train one of his former amateurs, hopefully that's Joshua.

Otherwise, I don't see anyone else over here for Joshua, a move Stateside would do wonders for his boxing ability and career.
                  Last edited by D-MiZe; 12-04-2012, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by D-MiZe View Post
                    Savon mate.

On da real doe,

He needs to go with a good boxing trainer who'll instil basic boxing techniques. At his size, or any size for that matter, he needs to be working behind the jab and making the most of his speed & power.

He needs to avoid bulking up too much, he's a natural heavyweight - we don't want another Bruno on our hands (that's not really a bad thing).

McCracken is a good shout, great trainer and he's involved in the GB set-up, so that means quality sparring. However, he's involved in training close to 20 fighters so I cannot see him expanding his professional stable. We'll have to see what happens with Froch, once Froch retires I believe McCracken will train one of his former amateurs, hopefully that's Joshua.

Otherwise, I don't see anyone else over here for Joshua, a move Stateside would do wonders for his boxing ability and career.
                    Yes, yes and double yes.

The last thing he needs is to hook up with some domestic level hack trainer, knock over 20 stiffs and then all of a sudden hes in his late 20's with GLARING style deficiencies that it's too late to fix.

Comment

Working...
                    X