No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Erik Morales vs Danny Garcia: Pre-Fight Report Card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Erik Morales vs Danny Garcia: Pre-Fight Report Card

by Cliff Rold - He’s been so good to so many fight fans, so much fun to watch, that a sin is easily forgiven. Erik Morales showed up for the weigh-in on Friday, missed the Jr. Welterweight limit of 140 lbs., and seemingly shrugged it off.

He lost what was a paper WBC title on the scales. Danny Garcia can still win it. If we get another ‘Morales fight,’ win or lose, is anyone really going to care about the title situation?

It’s not to excuse blowing weight. As a professional, Morales had obligations. It is to say the good still so far outweighs the bad that it’s not worth a breathless critique.

It happened. The weight, given that Morales’s prime was at least a decade ago between ten and eighteen pounds lower, won’t make the difference. [Click Here To Read More]

At least after Garcia takes the L he will still be able to make **** rap records.

Comment

I was with Morales until i saw this, dude just hasnt trained as hard as recent fights and coming off that fairly big operation on his gaul bladder his body just isnt going to be prepared for a 12rd world title fight. This kids got the opportunity of a lifetime to win a title and beat a legend so Erik better have those balls out tonight otherwise its all over and a potential clash with Marquez will have zero kudos

Comment

Were you joking about the "even if Kirkland gets stunned" remark? Lol. I know people question Kirkland's chin, but c'mon..Molina has 6 KO's in 19 wins.

I don't think Kirkland has a bad chin at all, he reminds me of Gamboa in the sense that, early on in fights they are so focused on imposing and establishing there offense on their opponent, they leave there chin hanging out to dry. Therefor, their bodies haven't warmed up fully in to the fight, and they suffer flash KD's, but they're not momentum changing, fight changing KD's.

If Kirkland's chin was as bad as alot of people seem to think, Angulo would of finished him in the first round. Kirkland took everything from Angulo, and was catching Angulo in-between his shots. I know people point to the Ishida fight alot too, but after watching the difference in Kirkland (physically and mentally) in the Angulo fight, surely people realize those were two completely different Kirkland's?

Molina is a solid all around boxer, with an awkward style. But, he is lacking badly in power. Not saying power is everything, because it isn't in the least. BUT, not only do I feel Kirkland naturally is the much bigger man at 154, Kirkland is more of a natural 154 LBer who could fight at 160, whereas Molina seems more like an all around natural 147 LBer, 'cause to me he looks just a tad too soft for the weight class. I know Molina is naturally kind of a soft looking guy, but still.

Anyway, while Molina does have decent boxing skills, he doesn't have a tremendous defense either. And, IMO, doesn't utilize enough lateral movement to keep away from someone like Kirkland, Molina ACTUALLY comes forward alot of the time, which I think is disastrous against Kirkland. That style works well against someone against Lara, who covers up alot and fights off the back-foot, and Cintron, who fights off the back foot. Kirkland is a totally different animal, and I just can't imagine Molina keeping Kirkland away for even a couple of rounds, let alone an entire contest. Look for Kirkland to find his range for the uppercut against Molina, and obviously the straight left and right hook within a couple of rounds, and Kirkland will likely grind him down to the head and body en route to about an 8th round stoppage.

Comment

To add a little bit more to my post above, also everyone remember the Julio fight? Yea, Kirkland walked into a couple of shots, but he found Julio rather quickly, broke him down and looked like he was en route to an in-ring stoppage, ultimately though, Julio literally quit after 6.

Mind you, Julio (back then) was a serious contender in the junior middleweight division, had very solid boxing skills, very quick hands and feet, not to mention was quite a big puncher.

Julio utilized alot of lateral movement, and was almost running at times, and Kirkland had little to no problem finding Julio. Molina just doesn't have that sort of athleticism, and doesn't utilize that sort of movement. I don't see Kirkland having THAT much of a problem finding Molina. Could be wrong, but I don't think I am.

Comment

If Kirland struggled to take Ishida's minimal power, then there's a chance that a lot of boxers out there could K.O him.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing. If Morales loses here against Garcia. That fight with Marquez is out the window.

Comment

Kirkland has been rocked more than a few times in his career by guys with power all over the place (high and low). He walks into shots; it happens. It's part of what makes him fun. Molina is a physically strong guy. He could easily catch Kirkland with something to make him wiggle a little. I don't think there's quite enough to KO him.

Comment

How do you give Morales A+ for intangibles, but Garcia has a B+ lol. Garcia has a lot of potential that has been untapped. Garcia has the possibility to show us some **** that we haven't seen from him yet, i would give him an A for intangibles.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                    How do you give Morales A+ for intangibles, but Garcia has a B+ lol. Garcia has a lot of potential that has been untapped. Garcia has the possibility to show us some **** that we haven't seen from him yet, i would give him an A for intangibles.
                    Because it's untapped. When he taps it, when he shows he's got the resevoir, I'll go there. He hasn't had to show "A" yet. He's shown me plenty for B+ so far.

Comment

Working...
                    X