Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Prince Naseem all-round the most consistently exciting fighter ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

his ring walks were a bit different!

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
      I think some of you are getting exciting mixed up with entertaining.
      I thought about using the term entertaining but then I decided that when it comes to boxing the two terms are interchangeable if you know what I mean? When a fight is entertaining, it's exciting. And when a fight is exciting, it's entertaining... The two go hand in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by el*** View Post
        Magic carpet ride entrance was the funniest ring entrance of all time.

Using justin beiber to hold floyds belt was up there but not as good. Someone needs to get the gundam style guy to do their ring entrance before its not funny anymore.
        That magic carpet entrance was awesome, I can't see that ever being topped!

Comment

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          Too many 2-3 round KOs which short-changed the fans but yeah, in his later fights hard to pinpoint a more exciting fighter.
          I get your point about the 2-3 round KOs but most of those fighters had either never been KOd before, and for the ones which had been KO'd they were never KOd that quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttimes View Post
            He had some snoozers with McCollough, Soto, Barrera and Calvo. The most exciting for me was probably Gatti or Vargas as far as the big names go.
            I thought the McCollough fight was great partly because Hamed completely underestimated him and came in looking like he hadn't trained much. He looked below par, but he showboated and switched from offensive to defensive tactics and did the Ali shuffle in that fight.

And the Barrera fight was a great win for Barrera, again the Prince had got overconfident by that time to the point that Emanuel Steward actually left him! But that fight was entertaining. Hamed kept trying to land bombs but because he hadn't trained properly Barrera could see them coming a mile off. That was an entertaining fight.

The Soto fight was for his WBC title, I though Naz put on a great performance against the Vet.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
              yes.

The bastard child of Camacho, Eubank, Wifredo Gomez and Willie Pep.
              And Gonzo from the Muppets.
              Nice breakdown, I see what you mean. I heard that Eubank actually imitated Naseem's rope jump after he saw him doing it as an amatuer.

Comment

He was pure excitement.

I can understand if you hated him at the time as that was the aim of his game and what made him so much money but if you can't even enjoy the excitement Hamed brought to the sport even now, long after he's retired then that's your loss.

Whilst his resume may not contain a truck load of ATG's it certainly isn't as bad as it's made out to be on this forum. He has some decent names on there but admittedly no ATG's on his win list but some solid contenders.

The ring walks, the interviews, the freakish one punch KO power he had, the flip over the rope, all that together equalled a great deal of excitement, and if your someone like me who just wants to be entertained then you'd appreciate how good he was for the sport of Boxing.

How i wish someone like Hamed would come along now and add that spark into Boxing again.

Comment

Just think if there was a heavyweight equivalent to the Prince, boxing would be the King of all sports again. the most all around entertaining fighter i have ever seen

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttimes View Post
                    He had some snoozers with McCollough, Soto, Barrera and Calvo. The most exciting for me was probably Gatti or Vargas as far as the big names go.
                    People would tune in just to see his ring walk.
                    For me, Tyson would come 2nd. Not a showman, but his ferocity and reputation in and out of the ring made him exciting. Then he became a freakshow.
                    But Hamed, as an entertainer, show man, talker and KO fighter had it all.

A vid i made.

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
                      People would tune in just to see his ring walk.
                      For me, Tyson would come 2nd. Not a showman, but his ferocity and reputation in and out of the ring made him exciting. Then he became a freakshow.
                      But Hamed, as an entertainer, show man, talker and KO fighter had it all.

A vid i made.
                      I dont know how 'no' can be the leading vote in this poll.

He gets the most hate out of any fighter.

Comment

Working...
                      X