No announcement yet.

Calzaghe 'scared' of Pavlik power

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stickman View Post
    I think the fight would be extremely close, a give and take throughout the entire fight, with loads of great action, and I wouldn't begin to call it. Believe me, I'm good at predicting fight outcomes and this one would have me flipping coins. And yes, Kessler's too "Euro" right now, but after a fight with Pavlik he'd have US fans crawling out of the woodwork instantly. Don't you remember Abraham just a couple of days ago? And that wasn't even against a US fighter. A good performance between these two would turn heads on both sides of the pond, give both international notoriety, and increase their paydays by nearly a factor of 10. Plus, it would give me at least 2, maybe 3 (if there was need of a rubbermatch, and I think there would be) fights I could sit and watch over, and over, and over, and over...
    Hey listen stickman... Stop being so rational.... You're not supposed to discuss boxing on this site with plausible, interesting analysis. You're supposed to cherrlead for your favorite fighter, cloak such cheerleading with flawed ignorant analysis, and bristle at anyone or everyone who disagrees with you or suggests something that is foward thinking. Don't let me see this again.

Comment

Originally posted by abadger View Post
      I'm not sure. I think Kessler is too 'Euro' to be a star in the USA, and I think if he fought anything close to his best he would beat Pavlik very one-sidedly. Cue "Pavlik is a bum" from his erstwhile fans.
      Kessler is better looking than a prime Oscar. He'll be taking Tom Brady's women from him once he gets some TV exposure here.

Comment

Originally posted by kayjay View Post
        Kessler is better looking than a prime Oscar. He'll be taking Tom Brady's women from him once he gets some TV exposure here.
        I knew there was a reason I always felt so drawn to him. I thought it was just because of the tattoo, but no.

Comment

Calzaghe got in the ring with a harder puncher in Kessler so I doubt he's scared of his power. There's more money in a fight with Jones, it's that simple.
          Last edited by Addition; 06-24-2008, 09:14 AM.

Comment

pavlik vs calzaghe,joe dont need to fight him,in case any one has forgot joe is two weights above pavlik,as for pavlik ko on joe is bollocks,roy jones is the right fight,at the right weight,most of all the right time for joe,pavlik can have his day if he is still a champ in ten years time?which wont be?

Comment

Yawn. Substitute the name Pavlik for Lacy and this is the same drivel we were getting a few years ago. Need I remind anybody how that turned out?

Comment

Originally posted by HappyBoxingFan View Post
                Hey listen stickman... Stop being so rational.... You're not supposed to discuss boxing on this site with plausible, interesting analysis. You're supposed to cherrlead for your favorite fighter, cloak such cheerleading with flawed ignorant analysis, and bristle at anyone or everyone who disagrees with you or suggests something that is foward thinking. Don't let me see this again.
                Er, yeah, sorry 'bout that, dunno what came over me.

Comment

Pavlik's great, but too many people are ignorant and will obviously spam this as Calzaghe "dodging" Kelly, whereas it couldn't be further from the truth, it's just not the right fight for Calzaghe..

The fact is, at Calzaghe's age, and his age, the right fight for him is Roy Jones JR. He's too old to be going down to make weights, he doesn't need to prove anything at middle, he's already dominated the super middleweight ranks.. Why would he take this fight?

If Calzaghe was younger and a young and hungry fighter whos on the up like Pavlik, then it'll be a right fight. But Calzaghes been young and hungry and beaten everyone put infront of him and the best in the division and stayed unbeaten. He needed to be sent off into retirement with 2 fights against legendary fighters Hopkins, and now Jones.. Pavlik is still a divisional fighter, Joes done that and dominated, so fighting Pavlike would be a step backwards, he's doing the right thing by taking the all star legends big money dream fights now!

Comment

Originally posted by the_godslayer View Post
                    Welsh boxing hero Joe Calzaghe has been accused of running scared of big-hitting American Kelly Pavlik.

Super-middleweight king Calzaghe has ruled out a big-money showdown with fellow unbeaten star Pavlik, the WBO and WBC middleweight champion.

But Pavlik's trainer Jack Loew said: "How many more excuses is this guy going to make? If Joe Calzaghe fought Kelly, he'd be in trouble.

"There's no way he'd beat Kelly, he's just a slap-happy Welshman."

Pavlik has told 10-year champion Calzaghe he wants to "get it on" but the undisputed super-middleweight wants to fight ageing great Roy Jones Jnr.

Calzaghe's promoter Frank Warren is in negotiations with 39-year-old Jones's representatives for a prospective autumn clash.

The 36-year-old Welshman is currently big box office in the United States following his points win over Bernard the 'Executioner' Hopkins.

But although Calzaghe insists he would beat Pavlik, the powerhouse from Ohio would be a risk to the Newbridge fighter's unbeaten record at this late stage in his career.

The legendary Jones is a four-weight world champion but is considered by many pundits as yesterday's news, with rising star Pavlik the promising new kid on the block.

Calzaghe's stablemate Gary Lockett, trained by Calzaghe's father Enzo, was demolished by Pavlik inside three rounds earlier this month, and Loew admitted: "Jones Jnr is a smarter fight for Calzaghe.

"This is what happened: his dad went back and said 'don't fight this killer, he is gonna knock you out'.

"I'm ticked off as he's telling us that we don't want to fight him. But yes, we do want to fight Joe Calzaghe. He doesn't want to fight Kelly Pavlik."

Source - - - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/7469896.stm
                    The funny thing is Pav's fat ass trainer says Joe doesn't want to fight Pav, but if they fought, it has to be at a catch weight. lol Unbelievable lol. You want to fight a man, but you want the 36 year old Cal to drop some weight. lol Comical. Where I come from, you challenge a man, there are no stipulations.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Italian View Post
                      I wouldnt want to fight pavlik...he's a beast...

thats like saying you wouldnt want to fight a prime tyson
                      I feel bad for LOL'ing as the kid's only 19.

But even so... LOL.

Comment

Working...
                      X