No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ishe Smith: No One-Hit Wonder

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Ishe Smith: No One-Hit Wonder

By Thomas Gerbasi - Instagram isn’t usually where you go for profound thoughts, but on the day the Saul “Canelo” Alvarez vs. Erislandy Lara fight was made official for July 12, thus pulling Lara from his May 2 title fight against Ishe Smith, Smith took to the site to express his feelings on losing his shot at regaining a portion of the world junior middleweight title.

“Lara has pulled out of our fight to secure a bigger payday with Canelo,” Smith wrote. “I would have done the same, good luck to both fighters in their upcoming fight.”

It was as classy a response as you could get from a fighter who had to be devastated by this turn of events. At 35, and coming off the loss of his IBF 154-pound title to Carlos Molina last September, this was a crushing blow, but he took the high road. And though Smith will fight this Friday at the Hard Rock in his Las Vegas hometown, and he’s still the main event on a Fox Sports 1 televised card, it’s without a world title on the line. But he’s not bitter.

“Sometimes in life, there are certain things you can’t control,” said Smith. “This was out of my control. I’m grateful to still be fighting and that means a lot to still be on the show and be the main event. If I was him (Lara), he could be in one tough fight for six figures - no one’s ever been in an easy fight with me - or he could take a bigger fight for seven figures. If I was in his shoes, I know I would have done the same thing. But I waited 13 years for my first title shot, so if I have to wait a fight or two, it’s no big deal. I’m with good promoters in Mayweather Promotions with Floyd Mayweather and Leonard Ellerbe, and they have my best interests in mind, so I know if I do my job and don’t have any slip-ups like I had in September, I know I’ll get another shot to be a two-time champion, and that’s the most important thing.” [Click Here To Read More]

That one good hit wasnt even that good of a hit.

Comment

Ishe seems like a real nice guy.. but he's not leaving a legacy to be looked back upon. At least he managed a title though.

Comment

Hit?? What "hit"??!!

Comment

Dang.... Ryan Davis hit the lottery.

Comment

So easy a caveman can do it.

Comment

Working...
            X