No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: The Best of 2014: All you need to know in the New Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: The Best of 2014: All you need to know in the New Year

By Lyle Fitzsimmons - Welcome back, my Tuesday friends, to the show that never ends.

I’m so glad you could attend. Come inside, come inside.

With last-day-of-the-year kudos to Emerson, Lake and Palmer – whose lyrics I’ve unapologetically co-opted to begin this week’s piece – I thank you for arriving to this, the annual crystal ball forecast column for the year that’s about to get under way.

As last week’s installment showed, looking forward 12 months in boxing is, at best, an inexact science.

Unlike football, baseball or their collective ilk, there are no master schedules from which to pluck events to predict. And even if I was prescient enough to know now which fights would be made between which guys, say, next October, there’s always a chance that three people sitting on the ring’s perimeter would pound my forecasting into dust with their definition of what constitutes a “boxing lesson.” [Click Here To Read More]

3 title fights in the same weight division on the same week. Surely a case for unification here!

Comment

Interesting article.

I think the upset of the year will be a Wladimir KO loss.

Manny-Bradley, I don't think, especially at this point, would qualify as THAT much of an upset (unless there are not many to chose from) because Bradley has picked up a couple of good wins, and Manny isn't the guy who beat DLH and Cotto. So I feel it's on more even grounds than before.

Fighter of the Year - I see it being entirely plausible that the scenario laid out for Mayweather, can come to fruition, however, I don't think that it is enough for Floyd to be crowned fighter of the year. Let's not forget Khan has not fought at 147 and has not cemented himself as a force to be reckoned with. As far as Maidana, his win was more endearing to the fans than it was a credible win over an established welterweight.

So 2 wins over an unproven welterweight, and a another who isn't exactly at the top of the division isn't enough for a guy like Floyd to take the honor. He would have to do something big.

Is it unfair to hold him to a higher standard than everyone else? No. He's the greatest fighter around, and one of the best of his era, He should be doing bigger and better things at all times to be worthy of the same accolades.

I see the guys at 160 having no choice but to fight Golovkin. There's no excuse other than you just don't want to fight him at this point. If he is what most people think he is, and he fights 4-5 times, and gets a couple big names on the resume, he should take it.

Comment

i could actually see alot of what lyle says playing out (which is rare). i can definitely see bradley beating pacman again cuz he fought him very competitively the first time despite popular belief. pacman will be looking to prove something in that fight though and he knows he will never get marquez in the ring again so his only solace would be to beat the man that beat the marquez. but come on floyd being the first guy to stop someone? i know it happened with hatton but lets face it hatton is no maidana. maidana is a straight beast and hatton was a flash in the pan. mayweather beats the hell out of chino but its a pipe dream to say mayweather stops him. mayweather isn't stopping anyone unless he decides to fight amir khan. he just doesn't have that kinda pop and maidana isn't going to get discouraged and give up.

Comment

Good article to kick off the new year, especially the Bradley part.

Comment

Would love Wartiz to have a successful comeback and get his shot at Canelo.

Comment

Gus stuff

War Bradley :bukkake:

Comment

Working...
              X