Boxing Glove sizes/weights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing Glove sizes/weights

Just a quick question.

I recently bought a pair of lonsdale gloves only for training purposes mainly for padwork they are 12oz, they feel really good, (good padding havent really worn proper gloves before) and I didnt take too much thought in the weight as they were pretty much one of the last pairs in the shop, Im not a boxer just train, could I use these for sparring If I wanted to? (With a mate)

I've seen loads of different weights of gloves, 8,10, 12,14,16oz.

What weight gloves are used for fights? or is this dependant on actual weight division?

Whats the reason for all the different weight of gloves? I think I know the 16oz ones are used for sparring as they are bigger / more padded? and heavier to use so when you use lighter ones you are used to it.

Think thats it.
    Cheers
    Last edited by rampant; 11-14-2012, 07:19 AM.

Originally posted by rampant View Post
    Just a quick question.

I recently bought a pair of lonsdale gloves only for training purposes mainly for padwork they are 12oz, they feel really good, (good padding havent really worn proper gloves before) and I didnt take too much thought in the weight as they were pretty much one of the last pairs in the shop, Im not a boxer just train, could I use these for sparring If I wanted to? (With a mate)

I've seen loads of different weights of gloves, 8,10, 12,14,16oz.

What weight gloves are used for fights? or is this dependant on actual weight division?

Whats the reason for all the different weight of gloves? I think I know the 16oz ones are used for sparring as they are bigger / more padded? and heavier to use so when you use lighter ones you are used to it.

Think thats it.
    Cheers
    It depends, ramp. What's your weight. I'd think 12's would be good for anybody fighting 122-118 and down. 14's for 122-130. 16's for 135-154 or '60. 18's for 168-180, '85. Then 20 oz and higher for the cruiser and up.

It's mainly for the safety of sparring. In sparring, you're generally not out there to hurt someone; most pros and even some amateurs will wear more padding in order to prevent injury. I know you said you just like to train, but it's still ideal if you're going to spar. Hope this helps, man.

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
      It depends, ramp. What's your weight. I'd think 12's would be good for anybody fighting 122-118 and down. 14's for 122-130. 16's for 135-154 or '60. 18's for 168-180, '85. Then 20 oz and higher for the cruiser and up.

It's mainly for the safety of sparring. In sparring, you're generally not out there to hurt someone; most pros and even some amateurs will wear more padding in order to prevent injury. I know you said you just like to train, but it's still ideal if you're going to spar. Hope this helps, man.
      Cheers, yes that does help, Im weighing around 175, 6ft, my mate is similar weight height.

So if Im going to have a spar sounds like I definately need to get bigger oz gloves?

You wouldnt recommend I use the 12oz even with headguard?

Comment

Cheers, yes that does help, Im weighing around 175, 6ft, my mate is similar weight height.

So if Im going to have a spar sounds like I definately need to get bigger oz gloves?

You wouldnt recommend I use the 12oz even with headguard?
        Glad to have been a help, ramp!

I mean, it's really up to you guys. I've seen pro fighters spar with amateurs and beginner/intermediate level people that just train wear the 12's while they use 16/18's.

I wouldn't recommend 12's even with the headgear, but again, it's all up to what works for you guys. I'm about 140 and use 16's and expect the bigger guys I spar with the wear 16's as well. Test out 12's, 14's, 16's, and 18's at some point and let me know which ones work best for you.

Comment

Originally posted by deejd View Post
          Glad to have been a help, ramp!

I mean, it's really up to you guys. I've seen pro fighters spar with amateurs and beginner/intermediate level people that just train wear the 12's while they use 16/18's.

I wouldn't recommend 12's even with the headgear, but again, it's all up to what works for you guys. I'm about 140 and use 16's and expect the bigger guys I spar with the wear 16's as well. Test out 12's, 14's, 16's, and 18's at some point and let me know which ones work best for you.
          That's part of the problem, I dont have the availability of trying different size gloves as dont go to a boxing gym, I do boxercise and I really enjoy the excercise and especially the padwork. Its made me and my mate think about having a spar, this would be in a park or garden or something just o see what its like.

So was just gauging what equipement I'd need. Got headguard and 12oz gloves and thats it...lol

Comment

That's part of the problem, I dont have the availability of trying different size gloves as dont go to a boxing gym, I do boxercise and I really enjoy the excercise and especially the padwork. Its made me and my mate think about having a spar, this would be in a park or garden or something just o see what its like.

So was just gauging what equipement I'd need. Got headguard and 12oz gloves and thats it...lol
            Cool man, that's awesome. Try it out and see if that works for you guys.

Comment

Get some 16oz gloves for both of you guys, also, is there gonna be anybody monitoring this sparring match?

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                Get some 16oz gloves for both of you guys, also, is there gonna be anybody monitoring this sparring match?
                Cheers, Yeah sounds like the bigger the better.

Nah no one monitoring, the idea was too just feel it out first of all so just one person throwing some punches and the other getting used to seeing them / blocking them / movement and stuff, so sort of help each other out and not trying to throw bombs.

Once we get used to it then maybe agree to have a little spar, do you think it needs to have someone monitoring incase we start pummelling each other?

Comment

Cheers, Yeah sounds like the bigger the better.

Nah no one monitoring, the idea was too just feel it out first of all so just one person throwing some punches and the other getting used to seeing them / blocking them / movement and stuff, so sort of help each other out and not trying to throw bombs.

Once we get used to it then maybe agree to have a little spar, do you think it needs to have someone monitoring incase we start pummelling each other?
                  That's what you've got to do mate if ure using 12's don't go full out and start off conditioning it to just straight shots or one of u throwing one defending and countering until you get a feel for it , this also stop you getting wild

Comment

Working...
                  X