Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Do Top Draws Rarely Have the Most Exciting Style?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Do Top Draws Rarely Have the Most Exciting Style?

Off the top of my head I can name Tyson. Then Mexicans are known for trading yet they're underrepresented when it comes to being THE money maker of an era.
    Last edited by GrandpaBernard; 12-25-2012, 03:57 PM.

Surprising thread.

Ali was exciting. Leonard was exciting. DLH was exciting. Pac was exciting. Floyd isn't flat out boring, but he's not scintillating either. He's a fairly enjoyable technician to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by LIU KANG View Post
      Surprising thread.

Ali was exciting. Leonard was exciting. DLH was exciting. Pac was exciting. Floyd isn't flat out boring, but he's not scintillating either. He's a fairly enjoyable technician to watch.
      I associate "exciting" with high action and high violence styles: brawlers, punchers, sluggers, and swarmers.

From the reports I've read Jack Johnson was a patient boxer or counterpuncher.

Ali was a dancer. I'd say his rival Frazier was the exciting heavyweight.

DLH got into his share of scraps, but he wasn't the most exciting one around.

pacman isn't the biggest draw of the era he was in.

Comment

George Foreman was another exciting fighter. Roberto Duran, Thomas Hearns, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
          I associate "exciting" with high action and high violence styles: brawlers, punchers, sluggers, and swarmers.

From the reports I've read Jack Johnson was a patient boxer or counterpuncher.

Ali was a dancer. I'd say his rival Frazier was the exciting heavyweight.

DLH got into his share of scraps, but he wasn't the most exciting one around.

pacman isn't the biggest draw of the era he was in.
          IMO, the way you become a top draw is by consistancy and longevity. Under your definition of "exciting", consistancy and longevity are nearly impossible to achieve

Comment

I really don't get how Ali was that exciting. Joe Louis was constantly throwing punches and making angles late in his career so I can see where his offense is exciting. Ali danced and fought on the outside only and had some epic comebacks in his career. Ali had great footspeed. Didn't mean he was amazing to watch though. Niccolino Locche is more fun to watch than Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
              Off the top of my head I can name Tyson. Then Mexicans are known for trading yet they're underrepresented when it comes to being THE money maker of an era.
              I've just discoverd how wrong I've been. I always thought Tyson had an exciting style. In my book, any style that features aggressiveness is exciting to me. I don't care if he's a boxer or brawler, his singlemindedness to nail the other guy works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Panamaniac View Post
                I've just discoverd how wrong I've been. I always thought Tyson had an exciting style. In my book, any style that features aggressiveness is exciting to me. I don't care if he's a boxer or brawler, his singlemindedness to nail the other guy works for me.
                I meant Tyson is the exception. He was THE draw during his era along with being THE exciting guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxing Bob View Post
                  IMO, the way you become a top draw is by consistancy and longevity. Under your definition of "exciting", consistancy and longevity are nearly impossible to achieve
                  I like what you said here. In order to achieve recognition one has to consistently win. Brawlers, punchers, and sluggers are quite limited. Swarmers can be very skilled, but the style is extremely demanding on the body making them burn out fast.

Comment

This thread is so backwards and probable only based on a couple of heavyweights(Lewis, Holmes, Klitschkos)

Comment

Working...
                    X