Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

King Mo to defend title against dangerous power striker Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Mo to defend title against dangerous power striker Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante

Strikeforce's August schedule headlined by 'King Mo' title defense
    July 7, 2010 | 11:48 am

Mixed martial arts organization Strikeforce will stage two shows next month in the Southwest, most notably an Aug. 21 light-heavyweight title defense in Houston featuring Southern California's Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal versus Brazil's Rafael "Feijao" Cavalcante, Showtime announced Wednesday.

Lawal (7-0, with five KOs) claimed the title with an April decision over Gegard Mousasi and was cage-side last month when his former-champion friend and training partner Renato "Babalu" Sobral defeated Robbie Lawler at the Nokia Theatre to apparently earn a shot at Lawal.

However, Strikeforce has respected the fighters' wishes to not face off, so Cavalcante (9-2, eight KOs) has been inserted. Cavalcante knocked out Antwain Britt in May.

The Houston card will also include a bout featuring Tim Kennedy.

A week earlier, on Aug. 13, Strikeforce will stage a 135-pound, four-fighter women's tournament at Phoenix's Dodge Theatre. A Showtime representative said the entrants will fight to earn a title shot at the organization's 135-pound champion, Sarah Kaufman of Canada, who's 11-0 with eight KOs. Kaufman has a July 23 fight in Everett, Wash.

The Phoenix card, a Strikeforce Challengers show on Showtime, will be headlined by a bout between MMA veteran Joe Riggs versus Louis Taylor.

Damnit man. . a **** ton of good fights, boxing and mma, are gonna be goin on starting the week i get shipped off to BCT. that really makes me sad lol
    Im gonna have alot of catchin up to do when i get back

Comment

Originally posted by M Deezy View Post
      Damnit man. . a **** ton of good fights, boxing and mma, are gonna be goin on starting the week i get shipped off to BCT. that really makes me sad lol
      Im gonna have alot of catchin up to do when i get back
      This looks to potentially be a good action fight. Cavalante is a bit unproven in terms of competition he's faced, but he has one all of his fights by knockout (well, 1 by submissions due to strikes), and in fact, one of his two losses is by DQ due to illegal strikes. He did lose to probably his best opponent in Mike Kyle by TKO, but he could concievably cause some drama in this fight, especailly because King Mo likes to stand and bang with guys (that is, guys not named Mousasi).

Comment

I Feijao on the upset here. I definitely think he'll want it more then Gegard and won't just let the fight go. I think he'll be in Mo's grill the whole time and eventually knock him out.

Comment

Working...
        X