No announcement yet.

Sonny Liston: controversy in life, mystery in death

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonny Liston: controversy in life, mystery in death

A few years back I saw a documentary which discussed the unusual aspects of the ring legends life and untimely death which left me with many questions . Any fan of boxing knows of the long lasting connection the sport has had too organized crime and the name Sonny Liston is often a key target based on the strange events leading up too and during his fights with Cassius Clay.
    Charles L. "Sonny" Liston's whole life seems too have followed this path . Even his true age and date of birth has been disputed heavily. We do know that Sonny had a abusive and over bearing father which lead him too run off on his own at a very young age and soon after a life of crime. The loss of family i am sure was the leading source of these actions. Needing some thing or someone too belong to Liston became a dept collector for the Italian Mafia.

The 'Fix' The F.B.I, does claim that they have information on a possible 'fix' in the Ali rematch. A witness claimes that two well dressed black men possibly members of the Nation Of Islam came to Liston's camp and told him that if he wins then he will be killed . I can not bring myself too believe that Ali had any knowledge of this even if it is true . Based on Ali's first match with Liston and the supreme confidence in which he possessed.
    1. Even if true why would Liston fear these men when he would have members of the Mafia too watch his back ?
    2. Why would Ali need Liston intimidated ?
    3. If the 'fix' came from Liston's people why would Ali go along with it ?
    Ali had no reason too fear the Mafia due too his Nation of Islam membership . The Nation is as if not more powerfull and would not take the chance of diminishing Ali's popularity by being caught in a scam. Muhammad Ali's membership was a very important source being that his name alone brought more members which ment more $$$$$$ for the Nation . In the end the punch did land and Ali would have most likely have won the match even without it .
    {DEATH} Sonny Liston died some time around December 30. 1970, from a supposed heroin overdose. His wife found his body on the bed of their home on December 30, 1970. The odd events that follow lead many too believe that there was some sort of cover up involved. Geraldine Liston claimes that upon finding Sonny she first called her lawyer thne a doctor and finaly the police. She claims that this all transpired within a time span of fifteen minutes.
    [Geraldine Liston]"It's a mystery to me too, I'm telling you the police was right there in about five or ten minutes".
    A detective in this documentary states that the time span between Geraldine finding the body and then calling the cops was closer to two or three hours.
    Sonny Liston was a avid gambler and could have easily found himself far in dept after his boxing income had passed . With mob connections and famous face he would have had an almost endless amount of loan sharks offering hand outs. This leads to the possibility of murder . There is also the possibility of suicide.If Liston had insurance his wife would not have been able to collect in the event of suicide which would have given her a reason to first call her lawyer and the time which passed would have gave her time to rid of any suicide note or other evidence .
    The precise cause of Liston's death is mysterious; the police declared it a heroin overdose, yet Liston was well known to have a phobia of needles. After winning the title, Liston at first refused to go on an exhibition tour of Europe when he was told he would have to get shots before he could travel overseas. All this prompted rumors that he could have been murdered by some of his underworld contacts. The case of Liston's death remains unsolved. This death was documented on the show Unsolved Mysterieshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Liston
    [ But why would a person with a fear of needles choose too comit suicide by injection ? If Sonny Liston had planned too 'OD' wouldn't he have used some other form ? And further more with Liston being in the eye of the media for so many years it would have been hard to hide the tracts which he would have on his arms if this had been a long time habbit.
    Even after all these years Sonny Liston even in death is still as much a topic of controversy and mystery as he was in life .

Liston would have tooled marciano and frazier. He is a pimp.

Comment

Originally posted by brownpimp88 View Post
      Liston would have tooled marciano and frazier. He is a pimp.
      Wow, the very first reply to good reading, is off topic. What's wrong with people in here anymore.

Anyway, Liston was very much a mystery. He disliked needles as much as Ali hated to fly.

Comment

Good post. A movie should be made about sonny.

Comment

One has been planned for a very long time.

Comment

Good post. Maybe he thought upon suiciding that overcoming his fear of needles would be a good thing?

Comment

Liston had a very hard life and was involved with the wrong sort of people. I believe he was the victim of a mafia hit. His gravestone reads, "A man" but I suppose his mystery will never R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
                Liston had a very hard life and was involved with the wrong sort of people. I believe he was the victim of a mafia hit. His gravestone reads, "A man" but I suppose his mystery will never R.I.P
                I wish they would re-open the case before it's too late .

Comment

Working...
                X