Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most dissapointing prospects of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by intoccabile View Post
    He wasn't a prospect anymore when he crumbled. He became a champion, which was expected of him. Disappointing champion? sure. Prospect? no.

A disappointing PROSPECT is the likes of Lemiuex, and Guerrero for instance. Guys who climbed, and lost on their first test.

They haven't even become contender yet, lost as prospects.

Judah lost to Kostya Tsyzu. That's hardly anything to be ashamed of, and he did it as a contender, still won titles, still made a name for himself.

When i think of disappointing prospects.. I think of Linares

lol linares did exactly that. he's a two weight world champion

that's some rick james right there.

Comment

Fransisco Bojado
      Rocky Juarez
      Joel Julio

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
        Fransisco Bojado
        Rocky Juarez
        Joel Julio
        Ah.. Joel To be fair.. someones 0 had to go with the Quintana fight. Sadly, it was his. Both haven't done anything since then. Joel has been picked on by the guys no one else wanted to fight.. while Quintana was used as a name on the resume of people that everyone wanted to fight. Shrug

Oddly enough, you bringing up Joel just brought me to quite possily the most disappointing prospect to date.

Yordanis Despaigne. No shame in losing to The Black Russian, as he IMO is the most promising prospect in the game today - but to go on and lose to Cornelius White as well, oh man. His experience and credentials as an am would have you believe he'd go so far.

Comment

Anibal Acevedo

Taken from Wikipedia:
          1989: Gold Medalist World Junior Championships in San Juan, Puerto Rico (beat Shane Mosley)
          1991: Bronze Medal Pan Am Games Junior Welterweight
          1991: Lost to Kostya Tszyu on points in World Championships in Sydney, Australia
          1992: Gold Medal Santo Domingo Olympic Trials Welterweight (beat 6'4 Guillermo Jones)
          1992: Represented Puerto Rico as a welterweight at the Barcelona Olympic games (BRONZE MEDAL). His results were:
          Defeated Harry Simon (Namibia) 13-11
          Defeated Stefen Scriggins (Australia) 16-3
          Defeated Francisc Vaştag (Romania) 20-9
          Lost to Juan Hernández Sierra (Cuba) 2-11
          PanAmerican Games BRONZE

Comment

Ah.. Joel To be fair.. someones 0 had to go with the Quintana fight. Sadly, it was his. Both haven't done anything since then. Joel has been picked on by the guys no one else wanted to fight.. while Quintana was used as a name on the resume of people that everyone wanted to fight. Shrug

Oddly enough, you bringing up Joel just brought me to quite possily the most disappointing prospect to date.

Yordanis Despaigne. No shame in losing to The Black Russian, as he IMO is the most promising prospect in the game today - but to go on and lose to Cornelius White as well, oh man. His experience and credentials as an am would have you believe he'd go so far.
            I don't know Despaingne never really impressed me that much, he looked like a bad ass but watching him fight he didn't seem to be all that. He certainly should not have lost to a guy like White though so no doubt he disapointed.

Ike Ibaebuchi is another one, although he didn't lose it in the ring he was merely insane and a menace to society.
            Last edited by The Gambler1981; 04-23-2012, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Zab Judah isn't a failed prospect. He was a good prospect who ended up winning titles. What he failed at was becoming a great fighter of his era. He had the skills to do so, and hype as well that he would become that.

Danny Jacobs is one of the recent ones that stands out.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                I don't know Despaingne never really impressed me that much, he looked like a bad ass but watching him fight he didn't seem to be all that. He certainly should not have lost to a guy like White though so no doubt he disapointed.

Ike Ibaebuchi is another one, although he didn't lose it in the ring he was merely insane and a menace to society.
                What are your thoughts on Guerrero losing to Brewer? Were you high on Guerrero at all?

Comment

What are your thoughts on Guerrero losing to Brewer? Were you high on Guerrero at all?
                  That one was real shocking because how it played out, I mean who does Brewer knock out. Brewer winning a sloppy decision over a prospect ok but knocking a dude out, damn.

I did think pretty highly of Guerrero, he looked like he had it all was was rounding ito form, even if he turns into something I will have a hard time over looking the Brewer fight and will always give me pause when picking him.

Comment

Has Danny Jacobs retired yet? I know he was(is?) fighting cancer, but I remember him saying he planned to come back to the ring soon. He's only 25...that's plenty of time for him to come back and have a decent career.

I would go with Ricardo Williams. From silver medalist to smuggling coke.

Comment

Zab might not be a failed prospect, but he is the epitome of a guy who never lived up to expectations.

Comment

Working...
                      X