Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you still be an ATG if you lost three times to big under dogs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you still be an ATG if you lost three times to big under dogs?

I'm not talking about fights like JMM vs Pacquaio or Holyfield vs Tyson. Those are four ATG fighters, so what ever 'line' is put out should not matter.

I'm talking like
    Wladimir vs Sanders type
    Lewis vs Rahman
    Tyson vs Douglas

that type of under dog.

Can you still be an ATG if you lose THREE TIMES to under dogs like that PRIOR to you passing your prime. ?
    Yes
    78.57%
    No, being upsetted three times is too much
    7.14%
    Only if you avenge all your defeats
    14.29%

Depends what you do after that or what you have already done.

Comment

in boxing loses don't mean ****...it's what you accomplished that matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by Nacho_Analstain View Post
        Depends what you do after that or what you have already done.
        Also what they do helps too. If they were a huge underdog because no one really knew them and they went on to be big it has a lot less of an impact.

Comment

I evaluate fighters more on a summation of their accomplishments, rather than focusing too much on a few losses.

Comment

Fighting as many opponents as possible, even if not always winning, is still better than ducking many potentially dangerous opponents and being undefeated.

Comment

The examples you've used aren't ATG so I'm not sure what your criterior is.
              Passed greats can loose a decs. when their at their end (prime) or in their youth but as someone mentioned if they've already attained greatness then their the ones who hang around to long will loose some bouts, its the course.
              Sugar Ray lost a few decs to Harrington at the end of his career, nobody cares. Ray got to go to Hawaii for few months and had a great time other than fighting that crazy southpaw!!!

Young fans place WAY to MUCH emphasis on losses, I guess because of Mayweather but Mayweather has maintained his record by avoiding high caliber opponents. Not exactly the way to maintain a undefeated record!

Ray
              Last edited by Ray Corso; 12-11-2012, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathknight88 View Post
                I'm not talking about fights like JMM vs Pacquaio or Holyfield vs Tyson. Those are four ATG fighters, so what ever 'line' is put out should not matter.

I'm talking like
                Wladimir vs Sanders type
                Lewis vs Rahman
                Tyson vs Douglas

that type of under dog.

Can you still be an ATG if you lose THREE TIMES to under dogs like that PRIOR to you passing your prime. ?
                Well....since none of the fighters you've mentioned lost 3 times as described, except Klitschko, it's clear that it's just another one of your periodic attacks on the Klitschkos. I'm surprised at your tenacity and illogicality, but...... as Einstein and Forrest Gump both said, eah in his own way, "stupid is as stupid does, in doing the same thing over and over, expecting a different result'.....

I suppose it'll be a week or so before the next attack.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  The examples you've used aren't ATG so I'm not sure what your criterior is.
                  Passed greats can loose a decs. when their at their end (prime) or in their youth but as someone mentioned if they've already attained greatness then their the ones who hang around to long will loose some bouts, its the course.
                  Sugar Ray lost a few decs to Harrington at the end of his career, nobody cares. Ray got to go to Hawaii for few months and had a great time other than fighting that crazy southpaw!!!

Young fans place WAY to MUCH emphasis on losses, I guess because of Mayweather but Mayweather has maintained his record by avoiding high caliber opponents. Not exactly the way to maintain a undefeated record!

Ray
                  Weeell, it IS actually the way to maintain an undefeated record. You may not recall, because writing habits change, and writers change, but the analysts and writers some years ago always used to mentions Mayweather's "Brains Trust" (probably meaning his father and uncles, and maybe one other) who carefully selected his opponents, to give his the maximum advantage, with the least possible risk. Oscar's matchup guys also used to be called his "Brains Trust".

But, as I say, people and writers have changed and nobody remembers this.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathknight88 View Post

I'm talking like
                    Wladimir vs Sanders type
                    Lewis vs Rahman
                    Tyson vs Douglas

that type of under dog.

Ali lost to Leon Spinks, Ken Norton, Trvor Berbeck and That skinny white guy who should have won by knock out if Ali didn't get a long count and Dundee didn't tear the gloves to give Ali more time to recover. Chavez lost to Randell but Randell was on EPO when they fought Whitaker lost to Jose Luis Ramirez a C plus fighter

Comment

Working...
                    X