Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can People STOP Calling Mayweather a PURE BOXER?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El-Negro View Post
    The TS is a mayweather hater and is racist against Mexicans and their style of fighting even though they've given out so many FOTY..so many great battles and memories....smh....
    I'm not a Mayweather hater. I am a critic though. I'm not racist against Mexicans. But some Mexicans do have a tendency to just stand there and get hit. Which makes for boring fights. And most of the time, when they do fight a boxer like Mayweather, and they work hard and it goes to **** because fighters that move away don't take as much punishment (see Mayweather-Chavez)

Comment

Floyd Mayweather Jr is a PURE boxer

Comment

OP claims everyone doesn't know what a pure boxer is, then proceeds to name SRR, who was first and foremost a great infighter, as a pure boxer despite his supposedly stringent criteria. Brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by check hook View Post

Floyd Mayweather Jr is a PURE boxer
          No, Mayweather's more of a complete counterpuncher. He's much more reflexing than a "PURE boxer". Pure boxers just dance around with the jab, Mayweather's not that limited.

Comment

Originally posted by ILLuminato View Post
            Some of you people on here are such noobs to boxing. That's the only way to explain this phenomenon.

Howard Davis Jr., Muhammad Ali, SRR to an extent, Pernell Whitaker, SRL sometimes, and Willie Pep are PURE boxers. Which means they'll dance around their opponent, with the jab popping all night. These fighters are not really reflexive fighters, although sometimes they are off the jab.

Mayweather is more of a counterpuncher, he's very unorthodox in that he leads with his right hand a lot, leaps in with the left hook, but sometimes he switches his style completely.

Even Max Kellerman partakes in this stupid phenomenon, grab a boxing book and watch some boxing. Kellerman doesn't know anything about boixng.

I agree with this, but he is more textbook compared to someone like RJJ.

And on that note, alot of people think he's the perfect pure boxer, just because most of the time he has his hands up in the text book position with his right hand at his cheek. They see that and scream pure boxer.

But his potshots and slip/duck counters arent in the pure boxing manual, thats credited to floyd

I dont think there are too many of these "pure boxers" anymore anyway, youll likely see them in amateurs, when they turn pro they have no choice but to develop their own style. Mostly every boxer eventually lose their form anyway. Id have to say Floyd is more textbook/pureboxer than most.
            Last edited by shogunn; 05-25-2010, 02:15 AM.

Comment

I'm not a Mayweather hater. I am a critic though. I'm not racist against Mexicans. But some Mexicans do have a tendency to just stand there and get hit. Which makes for boring fights. And most of the time, when they do fight a boxer like Mayweather, and they work hard and it goes to **** because fighters that move away don't take as much punishment (see Mayweather-Chavez)
              The title of your thread was "Why do mexicans even bother"

If that's not racist bull**** then I don't know what is...

Whatever bro, Everyone has different tastes I guess but Mexican style of fighting is damm well exciting...When they're boxer-punchers it's even greater...Stop hating pathetic prick .

Comment

Some of you people on here are such noobs to boxing. That's the only way to explain this phenomenon.

Howard Davis Jr., Muhammad Ali, SRR to an extent, Pernell Whitaker, SRL sometimes, and Willie Pep are PURE boxers. Which means they'll dance around their opponent, with the jab popping all night. These fighters are not really reflexive fighters, although sometimes they are off the jab.

Mayweather is more of a counterpuncher, he's very unorthodox in that he leads with his right hand a lot, leaps in with the left hook, but sometimes he switches his style completely.

Even Max Kellerman partakes in this stupid phenomenon, grab a boxing book and watch some boxing. Kellerman doesn't know anything about boixng.
                Floyd is the purist boxer on the scene to date and possibly of all time. Are you saying because he breaks the rules from time to time that makes him a brawler !

Maybe you have confused boxing for dancing. All that bobbing and weaving has a purpose. Boxing involves a plan A and a plan B with the C close behind.

The truth is you like most people don't like "Boxing" you like most casual fans like "Fighting".

Comment

So you considered mexican warriors boring compared to a fighter that runs around and potshot for 12 rounds?

GTFO

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
                    OP claims everyone doesn't know what a pure boxer is, then proceeds to name SRR, who was first and foremost a great infighter, as a pure boxer despite his supposedly stringent criteria. Brilliant.
                    After Robinson got to 160 he became more of a pure boxer. he had to.

Comment

Originally posted by Vegan101 View Post
                      So you considered mexican warriors boring compared to a fighter that runs around and potshot for 12 rounds?

GTFO
                      Some Mexicans are really boring. Like juan diaz, and Rocky Juarez.

I like JMM, JCC, and other of the greats.

I believe I said what the other poster was saying after a Rocky Juarez fight. It was titled "Why do Mexicans even Bother".

Comment

Working...
                      X