: Advice needed on swinging back into the groove

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• : Advice needed on swinging back into the groove

Hi.

I have not worked out in 2 weeks due to brutal weather, and probably wont get back into it for 3 or 4 days more, until the weather gets back mild and pleasant.

Anyways, my workout consists of 6 days a week, I will walk 2.5 mph on my treadmill for 20 minutes to warm up, then I do stretching and calisthenics, then will go outside and walk my subdivision road loop which is 77/100 of a mile long, and I walk it 5 times, and I am gradually weaving jogging the last part of the way in on the last loop in, and was doing 300 yards of jogging, then I come in and do 2.5 mph at 20 minutes on my treadmill to cool-down then finish with more stretching.

I was doing really good with that routine and making great progress and getting energized, until I had to lay off.

Now, when I return, can I pick it right up where I left off,or do I need to cut back and work back in?

work it back in. it wont take you as long to get back up to speed, but dont just pick it right back up where you left it off.

Comment

It depends on the individual, your age and how athletic you are but if it was me I would go 75% the first day and see how I feel. If you're not too sore and out of breath I'd go 90% the next day and the up to 100%. That short of a lay off shouldn't effect you that much as long as your diet and lifestyle stayed the same.

Comment

Originally posted by GeNeRaL
        work it back in. it wont take you as long to get back up to speed, but dont just pick it right back up where you left it off.
        I would continue with the warm up and cooldown and calisthenics and stretching, but how much down on the main cardio would you cut back?

would you cut down one or two go-arounds my subdivision loop?

Comment

Originally posted by Curly Howard
          It depends on the individual, your age and how athletic you are but if it was me I would go 75% the first day and see how I feel. If you're not too sore and out of breath I'd go 90% the next day and the up to 100%. That short of a lay off shouldn't effect you that much as long as your diet and lifestyle stayed the same.
          So, two to three weeks aint much of a lay-off to effect things?

Comment

If you're a non smoker and young it's not going to bother you too bad but it depends on your lifestyle too. If you're active and eat good then you should pick back up after a week. If you're not active and have bad habbits then it will take longer.

Comment

If you're a non smoker and young it's not going to bother you too bad but it depends on your lifestyle too. If you're active and eat good then you should pick back up after a week. If you're not active and have bad habbits then it will take longer.
              I am 27 and I am 6'5 235 and I do not smoke and I do not drink.

Comment

I replied to your PM. You might have trouble with your legs at first getting used to the impact from jogging. I went in to a little more detail in the PM

Comment

I replied to your PM. You might have trouble with your legs at first getting used to the impact from jogging. I went in to a little more detail in the PM
                  That is why I was gradually weaving the joggin in at the end of the outside cardio walk.

The walking alone has helped me shed 50 ugly fat pounds in the past year.

Gradually adding to the jog at the end of the walk on my last loop when I feel like it the best way to take myself to the next cardio level, since it is instinctive and gradual.

Comment

50 lbs is awesome, and you're doing it the right way.

Comment

Working...
                    X