No announcement yet.

Arturo “Thunder” Gatti

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arturo “Thunder” Gatti

Arturo “Thunder” Gatti passed away five years ago this week, on July 11th 2009.

RIP Arturo

He is my favorite fighter ever...I watched Gatti-Ward Round 9 2 days ago. Best round ever IMO. So much heart.

Comment

Gatti was something else! not my style but I sure can appreciate the appeal. The guy became the real world "Rocky," certainly not an elite fighter but someone who got by on grit....I actually think if Gatti had been a better fighter, ironickly enough, he would not have had as much appeal.

When watching Gatti people could relate...."Hey Gatti is not the most skilled, hes got heart and so do I....I may not necessarily win but you will have to carry me out of the ring!" In other words the distance between a fighter like Andre Ward and the guy who knows how to throw a few punches and fancies himself a tough guy is a lot greater than that guy and Gatti. Of course this is only appearances Gatti had plenty of skills and is still in around the 1% of the world when considering his boxing skill.

For the record I DO think he deserved a place in the HOF. I just think that the real reason was his appeal, which made him a great draw, advanced the cause of boxing and created a kind of empathy/sympathy that people often felt with the old timers. This appeal can be part of greatness. Besides the Ward Gatti trilogy was one of the best.

Comment

Man 5 years ago already? I remember Vernon Forrest and Alexis Arguello died the same week, I believe. Real Sports on HBO did stories on all 3. Loved Gatti and love when they do "The Gatti List" on HBO, about boxing's greatest current warriors. So you guys think he was murdered? Who makes your all time Gatti list?

Comment

Anybody see that Legendary Nights episode on Gatti-Ward? You guys like it? I thought it ran a little long, but was pretty good.

Comment

Gatti was one of the most entertaining fighters ever.

Comment

terrific little brawler and always in interesting fights. If only he had a tad more boxing talent and technical ability, he could have been a very good fighter. But he was what eh was and boxing needs guys like that, guys that can sell out arenas and make us believe in "Rocky".

Comment

Comment

Great action fighter, watched all his fights...

His death will always be a weird situation, where the true facts will never be known.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    Great action fighter, watched all his fights...

His death will always be a weird situation, where the true facts will never be known.

Comment

Working...
                    X