Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should a fighter engage if he doesnt have too?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea win the fight...and bore every one while doing it.
    it's not like you're getting paid and people are spending their time and money watching you.

all fighters should just "win the fight" why try to make the fight exciting? gain fans? popularity? just "win the fight" and put on fights like Byrd - Williamson.

most people that say shit like that pretty much only say it because their favorite fighters are boring

im waiting for the "real boxing fans appreciate boring fighters like Derrick Gainer" response

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg View Post
      All does not get the spirit of the thread.
      Yea it kind of does because you imply guys need to do more to be prize fighters~

Guys should play to win, not play to blood thirsty fans~ "winning isn't everything it is the only thing"~

If a guy isn't playing to win to the best of his abilities, then he really isn't showing respect to the game.

Comment

Originally posted by MANIAC310 View Post
        I really really dislike when fighters do that....

it's unfair to ask them to engage when they don't have to .. because they're sacrificing their lives when they step into the ring and the truth of it is that they have families that depend on them being in good health.

With that said, it just shows how great some fighters really are.
        When Morales turned southpaw in the 12 th round vs Pacquiao.. that was some of the most legendary shit i've ever seen. Fighters that are willing to give people good shows deserve more respect than "health first" fighters like Alexander, Mayweather, Broner, Ward, Abril, B-hop.

will they get it? probably not... Rios is one of the most hated boxers on NSB.
        Because he is a ****; I don't like Freddie Roach I feel that he chats too much sit but mocking his Parkinson was a step too far.

Anyway no fighters shouldn't have to engage their opponents. If a fight turns out to be a stinker then I blame the visible loser for not being able to bring their opponent into a fight.

At the end of the day if I was at the top of the game I would stay pot shotting my opponent if they couldn't do anything about it. One I wouldn't want to hurt them and two I wouldn't want to put myself in harms way. Just collect the check and chill.

Comment

Originally posted by Cigarillo View Post
          I didnt see that fight but the only guy who I have a gripe with that does that is Wlad.

Mainly because hes 6-6, 245lbs, with KO power in both hands. He should not be fighting like a fairy.
          he fights like that cause he doesnt have a good chin

Comment

Originally posted by ElBossHogg View Post
            I am here re watching rios vs Abril or should I say I rewatched it with some friends cause it was earlier in the day (we all work same place monday tusedays off, gay I know) . I said Abril won, He won like a girl but he won and my friends said he won by surviving disguising as boxing and that really resonated with me. Cause my friend used my word against me lol "he won like a girl" and said I wouldent want to watch him fight again or even gave him respect for winning the fight, which is true to a point. He won the fight but he won nothing else, not the public nothing.

Would it had do him better if he would have echange for a bit and box, exchange for a bit then box.

Prize fight fighting is different then boxing, and FOTY dont reward puer boxers, and pure boxers never get the fanfare that Prize fighters gets?

what are you guys opinion?
            people have opinions. I know many people who don't even want to see a fighter go backwards and there's some truth to it. The fights in front of you. slip roll pivot duck bow ect but don't run. cowards run. An extreme example would be dirrel vs stevens. He won but holy hell all he did was run the whole fight.

Comment

Hit and don't get hit. That's fundamentally the name of the game. After that it's about how much the boxer is willing to risk to give the crowd excitement. Martinez risked a lot by trading with Chavez when he was hurt in the 12th but it probably won him more new fans than the previous 11 rounds combined(although I found it exciting to watch him put on a clinic as well).

So purely from a win/loss perspective, a fighter should try to avoid as many shots as possible(unless they're an infighting slugger and are accustomed to taking a lot of shots) but the reason some fighters are more exciting is because of their vulnerability. It's also the reason people give the likes of Mayweather & Andre Ward a lot of hate because while they're technically brilliant it's not as exciting to watch as a brawl.

Personally, I love to watch someone box well for 12 rounds as much as I love to watch a 3 round brawl because you learn a lot more about the sport from watching people applying their technique and mental strength as opposed to just flailing around madly. I am opposed to people "spoiling" the fight(like you accused Abril of and I think Carlos Molina did against James Kirkland before he was robbed) but it still has points of interest too.

Comment

If you want to end up like Victor Ortiz, yeah why not.

Comment

I don't mind pure boxing as long as it's for a tactical reason. You go in there to win and that's it. If you're not a slugger or brawler no one should expect you to be. There are fighters though who fight scared and don't use it to their advatage but we're not talking about that... we're talking about boxers NEEDING to go in to slug to get respect and I disagree. Also saying they're not prize fighters these non sluggers is sort of false... look at the names mentioned and some of them are the biggest guys in the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
                    Yes, he should. Because he has the chin of a fairy.

If he was smaller and had David Tua's chin, then he can bang out. But guys like Khan, Tommy Hearns and Wlad should use their height because they don't have the durability to slug.
                    However, his opponents have been so weak that they don't even pose a threat of a knockout with the exception of David Haye.

Wlad could be ripping guys apart impressively but I think those 3 KO loses have ruined him mentally.

Comment

There's many ways to win a fight. If your opponent is a face first brawler, that has limited defensive skill, head movement and footwork, box his ass off and make him look like a damn fool.

Vice versa too. If you feel a fighter is "boring" or "fighting like a girl", then find someone to beat him so he won't hold titles. Pressure him, cut the ring off, get him against the ropes and use your skills to solve his defense.

If you feel your "wasting your money" by watching a technically sound defensive fighter, then stop buying his fights.

It's like football. You have exciting teams that pass the ball 50-60 times a game, and "boring" teams that run the football, play good defense and control the clock. There's no right or wrong way to win.
                      Last edited by -PBP-; 09-24-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X