No announcement yet.

Richard Grant tried to hug James Butler and got sucker-punched

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Larryx2011 View Post
    James Butler was reported to have raped and seriously injured two men in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
      Dirk Diggler mentioned Floyd:

You posted after that, and I assumed you were angry for the same reason.
      Then shouldn't you have made your response to him and I separately, except making it 1 response fitting both of us?

Mmmmmmm hhhhhhhmmmmm

Comment

LOS ANGELES -- James Butler, a boxer who fought under the nickname "The Harlem Hammer," pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter and arson Monday in the 2004 death of a freelance sports writer.

Butler will be sentenced to 29 years, four months in prison by Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor on April 5, according to Deputy Public Defender Jack Keenan.

The 33-year-old fighter entered his plea as jury selection was set to begin in his trial for the killing of Sam Kellerman, who was the 29-year-old brother of boxing expert Max Kellerman, an ESPN Radio show host in New York.

"I think it's a fair resolution of the case," Keenan said. "He's always been sorry for what he did, and in the end he thought of Sam Kellerman as a friend."

Butler faced about 34 years in prison had he gone to trial and been convicted of murder, Keenan said. The original count of murder was dismissed against the former USBA super middleweight champion.

A motive for the killing has not been revealed by prosecutors, although it could come out at Butler's sentencing, said Jane Robison, a spokeswoman for the district attorney's office.

Kellerman's body was found in his Hollywood apartment on Oct. 17, 2004, although authorities believe he had been killed five days earlier. He had been bludgeoned around the head about 30 times while sitting at his desktop computer, police said. A hammer was found near Kellerman's body, his car was missing and his apartment was set on fire, police said.

Sam Kellerman was a freelance writer who covered pro boxing. He and Butler were friends and the boxer had been staying at Kellerman's apartment since late September, police said.

Butler has a pro record of 20-5-0, with 12 wins by knockout. He is best known for sucker-punching opponent Richard Grant in November 2001 after losing a charity bout in New York.

Butler has been in custody since his arrest three days after the Kellerman killing.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
          Then shouldn't you have made your response to him and I separately, except making it 1 response fitting both of us?

Mmmmmmm hhhhhhhmmmmm
          Yes. I felt your post was in the same vein, but you're right, I should have responded separately.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
            Dirk Diggler mentioned Floyd:

You posted after that, and I assumed you were angry for the same reason.
            But since we're talking about Floyd, let's be real here Freedom.

Considering the fact that many people are calling Floyd a sucker puncher and the phrase "protect yourself at all times" is being mentioned because of Saturday's fight, let's not play dumb here

I don't think you're a stupid guy, but the fact that you mentioned "sucker punch" and "protect yourself at all times", makes it quite clear who this thread was directed at.

It's sad that I had to take the time out to explain what was so transparent. Come on Free...

Comment

I take it you posted this for no other reason but to inform people?

Thanks, but most people who follow boxing have known about the Butler-Grant situation for quite a long time. But, we all do appreciate you trying to help.

In appreciation of what you were trying to do, I will inform you that Bernard Hopkins scored an impressive TKO over Felix Trinidad, only to lose to Jermain Taylor almost four years later!

Comment

Lol Max Kellermans brother got killed by this guy?

I guess he got what he deserved for being friends and trusting slick fighters.

Comment

I thought he went to prison for killing Kellermen's brother?
                  He went to Prision orginally for assaulting Richard Grant for a number of months.

Then later went to Prison again for killing Sam Kellerman.

Comment

This is a lame comparison, Tunney. Come on man.

Comment

That's a darn shame.
                      You mean that it was only Kellerman's brother

Comment

Working...
                      X