No announcement yet.

Weight lifting and boxing

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight lifting and boxing

I just started boxing at an actual gym recently and I haven't been able to lift weights on my normal schedule. How should I go about lifting weights while also boxing? Body Building is important to me and I go about it seriously, but I'm also serious about boxing.

Originally posted by BrananaRepublic View Post
    I just started boxing at an actual gym recently and I haven't been able to lift weights on my normal schedule. How should I go about lifting weights while also boxing? Body Building is important to me and I go about it seriously, but I'm also serious about boxing.
    It seems to me that body building is the last thing that a fighter would want to do. Lifting weights is one thing and body building is another.

When I fought I had a weight training class in school for my last 3 semesters. Some days I would lift heavy some days I would lift light with high reps.

I did have to move up in weight, over all from 132 to 139 over the 2 years or so. My finish max on bench was 245 and final squat was 320. With the boxing workouts I never got bulky, just very well defined.

It didn't have a negative affect on me at all, as a matter of fact it made me much stronger in the ring and alot more confident.

I lifted at about 10 am every other day with running on the off days. I had plenty of time to recoupe my strength to train at the boxing gym at 7pm.

I'm telling you that boxing and body building don't mix. Every muscle head that I encountered in the ring was easy to stun with shots to the head, it just seemed that they packed on all of these pounds but essentially still excepted the shots like a smaller fighter might have.

With bodybuilding it seems just an ego thing with these guys anyway, theywant to look like bad assese to the ladies. I'll take my boxer build over that any day knowing that I am a bad ass with the skills I've developed through the years.

Lift weights to build strength is good with boxing. Lifting weights to bulkup will get you hurt in the ring eventually...............Rockin'

Comment

I agree with the above.

For years, I have been lifting weights for strength not size, but I have gained quite a bit of mass. I haven't boxed competitively for years but I often think of giving it another go. But then I realise I am 85 kg, and my "natural" weight, without lifting weights, would probably be less than 70 kg. I could probably do ok around 70kg but I know I wouldn't be able to handle the power of a natural cruiser weight - been rocked too many times in sparring by lads around my current weight.

That being said, I do know of lads who have put on quite a bit of muscle mass from lifting, and hence, are fighting well above their natural weight class. Some of them are doing very well (they have good chins though). One of them has stopped his first 3 opponents in the first round, so don't let my opinion discourage you.

What do you weigh at the present?

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
        I agree with the above.

For years, I have been lifting weights for strength not size, but I have gained quite a bit of mass. I haven't boxed competitively for years but I often think of giving it another go. But then I realise I am 85 kg, and my "natural" weight, without lifting weights, would probably be less than 70 kg. I could probably do ok around 70kg but I know I wouldn't be able to handle the power of a natural cruiser weight - been rocked too many times in sparring by lads around my current weight.

That being said, I do know of lads who have put on quite a bit of muscle mass from lifting, and hence, are fighting well above their natural weight class. Some of them are doing very well (they have good chins though). One of them has stopped his first 3 opponents in the first round, so don't let my opinion discourage you.

What do you weigh at the present?

Good luck.
        Right now I'm at about 170lbs at 6'2" But if I didn't lift I would probably be about 140lbs. My goal weight is 220 so I have a long way to go, but I'm only 16.

Comment

Originally posted by BrananaRepublic View Post
          Right now I'm at about 170lbs at 6'2" But if I didn't lift I would probably be about 140lbs. My goal weight is 220 so I have a long way to go, but I'm only 16.
          Ah right ... 170 lbs at 6 foot 2 is good for boxing. I imagined you being some kind of hulk.

What is your priority? Boxing or weightlifting?
          What days/nights do you box?
          Can you lift weights in the mornings?

Comment

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
            Ah right ... 170 lbs at 6 foot 2 is good for boxing. I imagined you being some kind of hulk.

What is your priority? Boxing or weightlifting?
            What days/nights do you box?
            Can you lift weights in the mornings?
            I box Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 4 to 5. I'm going to start boxing Tuesday and Thursday as well. I could work out in the morning, because it's summer. I plan on weight lifting for a very long time, but I don't plan on taking boxing too far. I would like to compete somewhat but not really take it into my 20's at all, at least actual competition wise. I will still train then. I just would like to become proficient in it. I was thinking about trying to box in college but I'm worried about the physical repercussions. Specifically on the damage one endures to their face.
            Last edited by BrananaRepublic; 06-12-2011, 11:49 PM.

Comment

the bigger your muscles the more oxygen they need.

Comment

Decide what your priorities are

boxing or bodybuilding. You can lift your way into another, tougher weight division the same way you can eat your way into it. You will wind up fighting bigger stronger men who are much harder to knock down. In boxing, train for strength and flexibility without the bulk. It can be done. Read up.

Comment

Boxing will hurt your bodybuilding; bodybuilding will DESTROY your boxing.

At 6'2 170 you're at a good height/weight ratio, so if you were really serious about boxing my advice would be to switch to a strength training routine--your muscles are for all intents and purposes inflated. You can strengthen them to their current full potential without growing them further.

If you're serious about bodybuilding (ie you want to compete), then stick with that and use boxing as a cardio supplement to keep your bodyfat low.

This is one of those situations where you actually can't be serious about both.

Comment

they contridct each other, you have to pick one

Comment

Working...
                    X