No announcement yet.

Pivot when throwing the jab?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pivot when throwing the jab?

I have been taught to pivot when throwing the jab. Same movement as a left hook just not as far around. Because it gets you more power and your body is already moving so it can go into a hook straight after or transfer the weight back to your right hand.

But, we had this new coach at the gym and he said you should be leaning back flicking your jab without pivoting your lead foot. So you can fall in more with your right hand to get more power.

Is he wrong? Is it best to stick to pivoting from the jab or does nobody else do it?

Thanks.

Comment

pivot on a jab?? thats wrong.. jab is not a power punch .. u get som strentgh in your jab by pushing off your back foot..

Comment

if i were to throw a left straight perhaps i would pivot probably wind up too but a jab is just flicking out there no need to make your self more square

Comment

u get power in ur jab by turning ur hips. u should be turnin ur hips wid every shot

Comment

Originally posted by JayWater39 View Post
            pivot on a jab?? thats wrong.. jab is not a power punch .. u get som strentgh in your jab by pushing off your back foot..
            Wow that is a really bad insight considering you even have a picture of Jack Demspey up.

If you just want to be an amateur "points" boxer, where you just flick your jab out and hit your opponent to score points, then sure just use your arm.

But as for what this guy said, thats one way to do it....
            However Jack Dempsey, who was a hell of a puncher, believed in something called a falling step, you dont push off your back foot as it means shifting your weight to your back foot before pushing off in a forward direction.
            And as we all know this is bad in boxing as ever millisecond counts and this could become a "tell" for your opponent who then may be able to see every time your going to throw a jab.

Your best off looking at Jack Dempseys book - Championship Fighting, there are ebooks online.

Comment

I did it by accident once and got caught by a nasty left hook and a right uppercut, I didn't go down but if the round was about a minute longer I would have, I was buzzed for like 30 seconds. Not a good idea to pivot while jabbing.

Comment

No dont pivot, you get power in a jab by twisting your wrist just as it stretches out. By pivoting you limit your movement since you cant instantly move.
                Dont care what anyone says, pivoting is wrong. Any real coach knows that.

Comment

2 wrong things in your post, IMO.

1- don't pivot, the last poster said why, and your balance is bad, especially if your opponent is trying to come over it or counter.

2- do not lean back when you jab. It may not be a power punch, but it is very effective if you have a hard jab. It can win you fights when your opponent respects it. I love to fight weak jabbers cuz u can run rght through it.

You actually want to take a small step when you jab, or at least a stepping motion. Your lead foot goes straight out, not to the side, and doesn't mess up your blade(stance). If you step outward you square up.

Comment

So much bull**** in this thread. People have no idea what the **** they are talking about.

Yes. Pivoting on your jab as you are talking about is fine.

There is not much difference in motion between a short left hook inside a right hand, and a good stiff jab.

Ive never bought into the step with your jab crap. Stepping with your jab is good for closing distance, but if you only know how to throw a powerful jab while stepping, you will be completely unable to fight while going backwards.

It really is important to be able to jab with your feet planted, and thats what pivoting on the jab is good for.

Comment

Working...
                    X