No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Tor Hamer Focused To Build on His Overseas Success

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Tor Hamer Focused To Build on His Overseas Success

By Mitch Abramson - The heavyweight Tor Hamer is famously bad at giving interviews after his fights. He knows this. He’s trying to get better. But he still needs work. Following his surprising win against Kevin Johnson to win the Prizefighter heavyweight tournament in June, Hamer was harder on himself than Johnson was on him in the fight.

To win the tournament, Hamer had to win three three-round bouts in a single evening. Yet, in several memorable moments, captured on Youtube for generations of athletes to study, Hamer put on an incredible performance: He dismissed the three-round format as gimmicky to a ringside interviewer, rejected the idea his career was better off for beating Johnson, and basically acted as though he had a stomachache, all while the tournament’s organizer, Eddie Hearn looked on, puzzled. Hamer’s answers would have been comical if he was trying to be funny, but he wasn’t. He was just being himself- blunt, smart, quirky, and very, very interesting.

Nearly a month after his career-changing night, Hamer smiled and let out a sigh when reminded of his post-fight act, which really wasn’t an act. He was just being honest. [Click Here To Read More]

I like Tor Hamer, but his privileged background make you question just how serious he is about being a heavyweight champion. He has something to fall back on, so it doesn't really matter if he falls or not. He even says that this is just his first career in the interview.

Saying that, I wish him the best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
      I like Tor Hamer, but his privileged background make you question just how serious he is about being a heavyweight champion. He has something to fall back on, so it doesn't really matter if he falls or not. He even says that this is just his first career in the interview.

Saying that, I wish him the best of luck.
      I hear what you're saying but personally, I think it's refreshing to see a fighter who has the capacity to be able to secure a meaningful future for himself when he's done fighting.

50-60 years of retirement. The devil makes work of idle hands!

Comment

he's not a likable guy tbh

he comes across as a stuck up know it all which makes it hard for people to pierce through that armor and find a nice side

the klitschkos are academics who come from a good background but they dont conduct themselves this way

Comment

I quite like him, probably the most underrated US heavyweight at the moment. I'd quite like to see him face Arreola, who I could see him beating.

As with Chambers I think his lack of size and power are his biggest drawbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by -PANDA- View Post
            he's not a likable guy tbh

he comes across as a stuck up know it all which makes it hard for people to pierce through that armor and find a nice side

the klitschkos are academics who come from a good background but they dont conduct themselves this way
            he sounds down to each & blatantly honest to me. he said after he won prizefighter that he won 3 round fights so it doesn't do that much for him in boxing terms. he even told kingpin after he beat him. i think it is refreshing to hear a guy give such an honest assessment of himself & his career. he didn't make a big deal out of winning prizefighter. that win has opened doors for every winner except mike perez(his career has stalled). his team turned down the adamek fight which was a golden opportunity for exposure but i understand they want to get paid. hamer doesn't have that much experience & adamek in a 12 round fight is a big step up. i'd like to see showtime or HBO pickup a 10 or 12 round rematch between hamer & kevin johnson. i'd like to see all the american HWs fight each other. wilder, mitchell, hamer, kingpin, chambers & arreola should all fight each other.
            Last edited by joe strong; 08-12-2012, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I would rather see this in a fighter then a young fighter who believes in his own hype, calls out names he hasn't deserved yet, and has people around him that blows smoke up his ass. From what it sounds like, his biggest fault is being too honest.

Comment

Very hard guy to market or present as likeable.

Comment

He was awful in the post fight interview.

Eddie Hearn wanted to take the money back off him. Haha.

He might be an academic but he has zero social skills.

Comment

Working...
                  X