Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

switching up from righty to lefty(vise versa)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switching up from righty to lefty(vise versa)

can anyone switch up stances and be comfortable fighting with no problem me,im a normal righty but im ambedextris(dk how to spell it)cus i feel normal switching up.my trainer tought me it and it works beautiful for punching at angles with punches ppl dont know where they are coming from especially takin a nice little step the side can make a difference and if u can box properly just u would in ya regular stance u can confuse the **** out of your opponent and ruin there game plan

Originally posted by marciano92352
    can anyone switch up stances and be comfortable fighting with no problem me,im a normal righty but im ambedextris(dk how to spell it)cus i feel normal switching up.my trainer tought me it and it works beautiful for punching at angles with punches ppl dont know where they are coming from especially takin a nice little step the side can make a difference and if u can box properly just u would in ya regular stance u can confuse the **** out of your opponent and ruin there game plan
    Tyson could do that easily because he was a converted southpaw

nearly any converted stance fighter could do that because its natrual both ways

these fighters also are the ones who have KO power in both hands

IE
    Tyson
    Marciano
    etc

Comment

im right handed, but to be honest i find it more comfortable in the southpaw stance. i like jabbing with my right, and i also feel a bit more balanced in southpaw position.

i box orthodox but i find myself constantly moving to southpaw without knowing it.

Comment

ofcourse a right handed fighter will feel more comfortable in a southpaw stance in the start

Comment

Originally posted by Pugnacious_Z
          ofcourse a right handed fighter will feel more comfortable in a southpaw stance in the start

Yeah I can throw hella fast jabs with my right, but its only good for points, cause I dont have alot of power in my left

Comment

I'm functionally ambidextrous, I play some sports righty and others lefty. I box southpaw, and was recently sparring with a more experienced fighter at my gym who had a major reach advantage; he was kicking my ass, really controlling the fight. I switched up my feet stepping in, and the moment of hesitation that it took him to adjust gave me an opening wherein I tagged him with a solid 1-2 L/R instead of R/L. I did it twice more and it messed him up each time, though by the third time I could only land the left jab b/c he'd figured it out. I need to work on more combinations but I've only been at this a few months.

I've done this with a few fighters, now, and the best application I've found as yet was with that tall guy; switching guards helps to close fast from long attacking distance and it throws your opponent into the defensive, as they have to adjust. Some trainers at my gym scold me for it and others think it's OK as long as I don't rely on it. I'll probably keep it in my bag of tricks but not rely on it as a technique per se.

Comment

Originally posted by fraidycat
              I'm functionally ambidextrous, I play some sports righty and others lefty. I box southpaw, and was recently sparring with a more experienced fighter at my gym who had a major reach advantage; he was kicking my ass, really controlling the fight. I switched up my feet stepping in, and the moment of hesitation that it took him to adjust gave me an opening wherein I tagged him with a solid 1-2 L/R instead of R/L. I did it twice more and it messed him up each time, though by the third time I could only land the left jab b/c he'd figured it out. I need to work on more combinations but I've only been at this a few months.

I've done this with a few fighters, now, and the best application I've found as yet was with that tall guy; switching guards helps to close fast from long attacking distance and it throws your opponent into the defensive, as they have to adjust. Some trainers at my gym scold me for it and others think it's OK as long as I don't rely on it. I'll probably keep it in my bag of tricks but not rely on it as a technique per se.

alot of trainers frown on it for some reason. Even though I can win rounds easily jabing with my right in soutpaw stance. I can also change the pace like you said. It confuses people when you switch. If a guy is coming at me pretty hard. I'll switch and jab him off. But then I have to run laps when I get back to the gym Oh well what are you going to do.

Comment

Working...
              X