Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trayvon Martin Shooting: Voice Experts Claim Teen's Cries, Not Zimmerman's, Can Be He

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trayvon Martin Shooting: Voice Experts Claim Teen's Cries, Not Zimmerman's, Can Be He

Before George Zimmerman shot Trayvon Martin on February 26, a 911 call recorded the voice of someone screaming. Whether that person was Martin or Zimmerman, who police say claimed he was attacked by Martin before the fatal incident, has been an open question since the calls were released by the Sanford, Florida police department. (WARNING: Above audio is disturbing.)

The Orlando Sentinel consulted two voice experts to try to settle the debate, and both came to the same conclusion: The cries could not have come from George Zimmerman.

One expert, Tom Owen, used voice identification software to rule out Zimmerman as the source. From theSentinel :

"I took all of the screams and put those together, and cut out everything else," Owen says. The software compared that audio to Zimmerman's voice. It returned a 48 percent match. Owen said to reach a positive match with audio of this quality, he'd expect higher than 90 percent.

"As a result of that, you can say with reasonable scientific certainty that it's not Zimmerman," Owen says, stressing that he cannot confirm the voice as Trayvon's, because he didn't have a sample of the teen's voice to compare.

Another analyst came to a similar conclusion using different technology.

The voice analysis is the latest piece of information to cast doubt on the narrative, advanced by Zimmerman and his family , that the Neighborhood Watch volunteer was attacked by 17-year-old Travyon Martin. A police video this week showed no blood or bruises on Zimmerman in the aftermath of the incident, while Martin's funeral director said he saw no signs of a struggle on the teen's body.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobile..._front_top_art
    Last edited by el malo; 03-31-2012, 11:43 PM.

It's not looking good for zimmerman.

Comment

Assuming this is the same article I just read on the Huffington Post, I will leave this here:

Very interesting. Very flawed. Very typical reporting.

By no means is this a "home run." The first report, simply tells you its unlikely that it is GZ; it tells us nothing about it being TM. The way the article was written is very typical for this case as it rightfully expects its readers to make inferences to reach an unfounded conclusion. Surely if they would run test on GZ's voice they would also run test of TM's. That logically follows from the scientific method, no it's demanded of it. I wonder why that analysis was omitted from the presentation.

Regarding the second report, there is nothing scientific about relying on ones tone in an agitated state to conclude that was the voice of a young man screaming. That's the first level of scientific theory, the hypothesis. A hypothesis is inherently not a scientific finding; rather it is the starting point of trials that must be taken to reach a conclusion.

I actually do believe that it is GZ screaming. I think he TM was hitting him, however my suspicion is that he instigated it and therefore cannot claim self-defense.

/Thread.

Comment

what was the point of all this mess.seriously stuff like this has to stop all this drama over a pointless incident and it will only get worse,i just dont understand the ignorance that exist in this world

Comment

Originally posted by Hous View Post
          Assuming this is the same article I just read on the Huffington Post, I will leave this here:

Very interesting. Very flawed. Very typical reporting.

By no means is this a "home run." The first report, simply tells you its unlikely that it is GZ; it tells us nothing about it being TM. The way the article was written is very typical for this case as it rightfully expects its readers to make inferences to reach an unfounded conclusion. Surely if they would run test on GZ's voice they would also run test of TM's. That logically follows from the scientific method, no it's demanded of it. I wonder why that analysis was omitted from the presentation.

Regarding the second report, there is nothing scientific about relying on ones tone in an agitated state to conclude that was the voice of a young man screaming. That's the first level of scientific theory, the hypothesis. A hypothesis is inherently not a scientific finding; rather it is the starting point of trials that must be taken to reach a conclusion.

I actually do believe that it is GZ screaming. I think he TM was hitting him, however my suspicion is that he instigated it and therefore cannot claim self-defense.

/Thread.
          You must be a voice expert

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
            You must be a voice expert
            Or have respect for the scientific process?

Comment

Or have respect for the scientific process?
              What is the "scientific process"...and without directly using it, everything is easily false?

You must be an atheist

Comment

They will railroad Zimmerman

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                  What is the "scientific process"...and without directly using it, everything is easily false?

You must be an atheist
                  What is the scientific process? Welcome to the third grade.

[w]ithout directly using it, everything is easily false? That's blantantly impossible.

You must be an atheist. Nope, you apparently didn't attend grade three or above and don't understand the scientific process.
                  Last edited by Hous; 04-01-2012, 12:12 AM.

Comment

What is the scientific process? Welcome to the third grade.

[w]ithout directly using it, everything is easily false? That's blantantly impossible.

You must be an atheist. Nope.
                    Its funny that you had to google it

Voice Expert:

Ask a question: It is Zimmerman's voice

Do background research: Year's of professional expertise combined with listening to Zimmerman's and Trayvon's voices

Construct Hypothesis: This is Zimmerman's voice

Test with experiment: Plug in voices into a speech recognition software

Analyse result/Draw conclusion: Voices returned a 48% match that needed a 90 to pass

If Hypothesis is true/false: It's false

Report results: It probably is not zimmerman

TADAAAA the scientific method in all its glory

Comment

Working...
                    X