Collapse
No announcement yet.

was Fight of the Century Ali`s greatest performance

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he showed different qualities for which he is famed in different bookmark fights of his really

Liston 1. Fantastic footwork, speed and reflexes
    Williams. Punching accuracy and power
    Frazier 1. That great chin. How he got up from that knockdown was incredible.
    Foreman. Ringcraft and generalship
    Frazier 3. Heart

I don't think he ever showed all his qualities in any fight, not suprising really as if his speed footwork and punching was working then he didn't need to show his heart and chin.
    For me as cruel a performance as it was I think his peak was probably the Terrell fight.

Comment

Liston 1 or Cleaveland Williams for pure skill and talent, the Foreman fight for tactical brilliance

Comment

Originally posted by Counter right View Post
        Liston 1 or Cleaveland Williams for pure skill and talent, the Foreman fight for tactical brilliance
        The Williams fight was a great exhibition of skill but I always thought Cleveland was just a shell of himself in this fight. Ali probably beats any version of Williams, but this one just looked out of place and shell shocked.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
          was Fight of the Century - Frazier (1) the greatest performance of Muhammad Ali`s career.. yes he lost but he never fought like that before or after that fight..

You're kidding right? YES it was a great performance by Ali that night BUT to say it was his greatest and to say he never fought like that before and after??? That is ridiculous.

Have you even seen Ali's career? Ali showed heart, will and determination in this fight but the reason he lost was his ring rust and diminished speed and skills he showed in the 60s. Ali tired after 6 rounds and Frazier began to land on him while he layed on the ropes. How would that point out that he never performed like that before or after? It certainly showed a side of Ali he had not showed before in terms of taking punishment, giving back and going the distance while showing his heart of a warrior.

His greatest performance has to be between three fights, Liston I, Williams or Foreman. You can throw Thrilla in Manila in there too.

Comment

I'm going to pick out two fights which though he was far from his best really showed his incredible heart. 1 Norton when he got his jaw broken early on yet fought on to the very end INCREDIBLE
            2. A fight that is hardly ever mentioned but was perhaps one of his last great performances - Shavers. He got rocked real bad right at the start but pulled it out through pretty much sheer guts and determination.(I'm only mentiniong this cause it always get overlooked)

Don't go giving out to me about not picking fights when he was in his prime etc etc. I'm just going for two that were great performances for reasons not of blinding skill and speed (like williams or whatever) but simply sheer will guts and determination. Just shows that not only can you argue that he may have had some of the greatest skills ever he had one of the greatest hearts too.

Comment

According to Tyson, the Cleveland Williams fight was him at his best. I saw a few clips from it and I tend to agree. I'd say the Liston fights, too.The Fight of the Century was Frazier's best performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
                According to Tyson, the Cleveland Williams fight was him at his best. I saw a few clips from it and I tend to agree. I'd say the Liston fights, too.The Fight of the Century was Frazier's best performance.

Agreed.

Even though Williams was far from his best, Ali demonstrated his best ever display of speed, accuracy, timing, elusiveness and speed of footwork that evening. The 1971 Ali could not have produced 3 rounds like that against the very same version of Williams.

The Ali which faced Frazier first time was not nearly as mobile, his reactions were not quite as good either......plus his handspeed was a touch reduced.

I'll always say that Ali's display of heart was greater in the Thrilla in Manilla, his finish was stronger too. I'd also wager that his combination work improved post 1971 as the 70s went on, peaking in 1974/75.

Comment

Working...
                X