Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it right for a champion to act like Calzaghe did?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
    Yeah guys, it's only boxing.

Seriously, if it would've been any other opponet that Joe did that to tonight I wouldn't have even noticed it. But it wasn't just any other guy, it was a legend who was on his way out.

And boxers have been doing it the respectful way long before Joe Calzaghe was even born. There's a certain amount of respect you should show an aged legend when you've got them in trouble.

There are numerous examples of this ranging from how Rocky Marciano handled the fight with Joe Louis, to how Larry Holmes handled the fight with Ali.

You do it in a respectful manner, it's an unwritten law.
    thats exactly what I meant. In fact if the roles were reversed I wouldn't be happy with roy doing that to joe. Joe is a special fighter aswell...

Comment

Anybody going to rebutt this?
      If an aged legend can't take the medicine he dished for so many years, he shouldn't be in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by letsgobrady View Post
        your probably right, i was just stating what jones himself said that he chose not to fight calzaghe
        it was a business decision though. not like he was afraid of joe or nothing.

besides too many obstacles to that fight being made back then.

who'd move up or down in weight? venue? money split? and on and on.

remember if roy was gonna go down to fight a 168 champ......joe would probably take a backseat to ottke.

up to his retirement......ottke has always been rated higher than joe at 168. at least by the american press and ring.

Comment

like the commentators said joe was out jonesing jones, what can you do . . . i didnt like it because it was a legend in the ring with joe 2nite. but if the shoe was on the other foot i am sure rjj wudda done the same.

Comment

the taunting by Joe was kind of disrespecting to a legend of Roy's status. But I guess he couldnt contain himself.

Comment

I love these whining bitches...Double ****in standards when Roy did it it was "cool" ...get a ****in grip u c.*(unt.
              Karma does not discriminate.

Comment

Anybody going to rebutt this?
                i wont rebut but great post . . . excellent points.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelon Psyclone View Post
                  If an aged legend can't take the medicine he dished for so many years, he shouldn't be in the ring.
                  You're generalizing.

Tell me the last time Roy Jones consistently taunted a shot legend who was covered in blood.

I'll give you time to do your research, or if you want you can respond to me in another lame generalization and avoid the question entirely.

It's up to you.

Comment

When Roy knocked down Calzaghe and taunted him after and smiled at the crowd and stuck his tounge out, was he being a lesser jerk than Calzaghe when Calzaghe stuck his head through his guard to taunt him?

Roy did the same thing to Trinidad. A guy who wasn't even his size.. come on now. Roy got a taste of his own medicine.

Comment

Personally I dont think Joe was smiling in a cruel way or the showboating was to embaress Roy. I think he wanted to give the fans something to watch, show how good he is. And I way prefer him to do what he did than jump on roy to finish him off, he showed some class and respect towards roy, by just cruising the last couple of rounds and not battering him forcing a stoppage. I think he could see himself roy didnt have anything left nearing the end rounds and let the fight go the distance. personal opinion on my observation of the fight.

Comment

Working...
                      X