No announcement yet.

Got into an 18th century Naval battle last night

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got into an 18th century Naval battle last night

There I was patrolling off the coast of Tuscany in the Sixth Rate HMS Delilah of which I am Captain when from the foremast comes a cry of "SAIL HO!". Sure enough a French sloop of 16 guns had slipped the blockade and was beating against the wind in a desperate attempt to reach open waters.

I gave the order to pursue, ordered that the men be fed then as we closed with them over the course of the morning gave the order to unleash the long nines in the fo'cas'le and try to force an error. As fortune would have it our sixth or seventh shot took out a spar and we rapidly gained.

Naturally I gave the order to beat to quarters and amidst the shouts and yells and the shrill whistles and rattan canes of the boatswains we pulled alongside and unleashed our first broadside. We did some frightful slaughter in that first exchange, enough to satisfy the French commander's honour in surrendering but the devil was determined to fight so we took the vessel amidships and raked her something dreadful and before we could board her colours were lowered and the day was ours. We are now accmpanying her prize-crew back to Portsmouth where if God be good I should receive a capn's share of some three thousand pounds.

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    There I was patrolling off the coast of Tuscany in the Sixth Rate HMS Delilah of which I am Captain when from the foremast comes a cry of "SAIL HO!". Sure enough a French sloop of 16 guns had slipped the blockade and was beating against the wind in a desperate attempt to reach open waters.

I gave the order to pursue, ordered that the men be fed then as we closed with them over the course of the morning gave the order to unleash the long nines in the fo'cas'le and try to force an error. As fortune would have it our sixth or seventh shot took out a spar and we rapidly gained.

Naturally I gave the order to beat to quarters and amidst the shouts and yells and the shrill whistles and rattan canes of the boatswains we pulled alongside and unleashed our first broadside. We did some frightful slaughter in that first exchange, enough to satisfy the French commander's honour in surrendering but the devil was determined to fight so we took the vessel amidships and raked her something dreadful and before we could board her colours were lowered and the day was ours. We are now accmpanying her prize-crew back to Portsmouth where if God be good I should receive a capn's share of some three thousand pounds.
    If the Frog Captain had any sense at all he'd have given your rigging a couple of doses of chain shot and made any pursuit of him dubious at best.

Poet

Comment

I got it, it was a good attempt but I just have to point out what a nerd you are.

Comment

Emperor Barossa or Fredirik I and head of Christendom refused to embark with the fellow crusaders the English and French by sea and preferred to do so by foot. He drown in a river in Siberia.

Comment

I'm disappointed Squealpiggy, I thought you would come up with something like "Got in to a laser fight with aliens".

Comment

Where's the original thread?

Comment

Originally posted by Konstantin View Post
              Where's the original thread?
              It was by Larryx. He got in to a shoot out, supposedly.

Comment

Few thread titles have ever made me laugh this hard.

Comment

Originally posted by poet682006 View Post
                  If the Frog Captain had any sense at all he'd have given your rigging a couple of doses of chain shot and made any pursuit of him dubious at best.

Poet
                  He was too long at port to be having those sorts o thinkings. Any French captain worth his salt were a victim of the Great Terror.

Comment

He was too long at port to be having those sorts o thinkings. Any French captain worth his salt were a victim of the Great Terror.
                    Comte De Grasse is rolling in his grave.

Poet

Comment

Working...
                    X